Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click to Save Click for JetForums

Anyone own any Exotic cars?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by zeeshan66, Aug 13, 2009.

1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I believe a young Bruno Sacco designed that thing, well before he became head designer at MB.
    But by then, his even younger compatriot Marcello Gandini had already produced some masterpieces of the automotive history.
    Imho, the very best efforts of Sacco came later, with large production cars like the R129, rather than supercars.
    In fact, with utmost respect for anyone "dreams as a school boy", I'm not so sure that the C111 deserves a place even in the top ten cars of the late 60s, for design alone.
    Aside from the revolutionary Miura, there were already around things like the Daytona, Ghibli, Alfa 33...
    I mean, even the Fiat Dino was arguably nicer than the C111!
    Oh, and the Corvette C3 was pretty good either...
  2. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

In case anybody is in the neighborhood:
    A Montgomery County, TX, car enthusiast could become the new owner of a Lamborghini as a local constable's office will hold an auction next month for a seized vehicle.
    black 2013 Lamborghini Aventador
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Kevin, this feature is presently only for the Q models, the fully electric versions. My lawyers and I are already working on that BS. Profit is not everything. We assume, the printed performance data (range) can only be optained with the restricted performance settings !!!!

Mapism, as my family were always Mercedes shareholders, I could only afford Mercedes (Got them much cheaper) as a young officer. The Miura or a Ferrari were far beyound my financial horizon at that time. But things have changed. Today I sit in the right backseat of my Maybach 680 V12 and get driven by my professional driver. And when the whole family travels on the road together, we need a Bus. Too many children and grandchildren :).

Mercedes-maybach-s680.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter-Travel-75.jpg
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I vaguely remember the C 111 from my youth, but as a restless teenager I was more focused on chasing young girls and souping up my mopeds to hit 90 km/h than to dream about exotic cars.
    If anything I was impressed with the Volvo P-1800 as a TV series called The Saint
    was on the tube frequently and I was looking forward to be as cool as the hero in his fancy car:
    IMG_6527.jpeg

The C111 however seemed to be a very fast car if this blurb is true:

How can you do an AVERAGE speed of 403 km/h? Wow..:cool:
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It's all in how fast it was typed (hyped) up.
    Yes, I remember that car in the library books when I was in school.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

IMG_1400.jpeg
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

More on the C111 here;
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I like these Moto Guzzi powered trikes and cars.

10. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I personally believe, cars like the Mercedes AMG one, 1.063 HP or the Bugatty Veyron, 1.000 HP are just collectors items without any practical use. And those many horses have to be fed.

bugatti-veyron-super-sport.jpg

The constructor of the Bugatty Veyron was asked by a journalist about the fuel consumption of the Veyron in litres per 100 km at full speed. The guy answered, we do not know, at full speed we can't go 100 km on a single tank (btw. that car has a tank bigger than 100 litres). They are fascinating technical achievements but most of them dissappear in a museum or private car collections. I have seen one or two Veyrons in the Med in front of famous bars on the French Riviera but that's about it. Real exotic cars!
    brian eiland and strat57 like this.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

At full speed the tires won’t last much longer than the fuel anyway ….
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

In Nardò ring (southern Italy), talking of average speed doesn't make any sense.
    It's a circular ring, all at a constant banking angle, specially built for extreme speed testing.
    About 12km long and 4km diameter - makes the Indianapolis oval a rally road, in comparison.
    You just put your foot down, and go as fast as you can.
    IIRC, it was used also by GM to establish a 24hr endurance speed record with the Corvette C4.
    LT5 engine powered obviously, not the usual archaic pushrod american V8s... :)
  13. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

From a number of years ago,....

And here was another power source,...
    Flywheel Power
    https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/anyone-own-any-exotic-cars.11874/page-3#post-83550
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

That explains it..:cool:
  15. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Or maybe since the original engine in the 300 Gullwing was a slant 6 for hood clearance, perhaps this new version of an older slant 6 would be appropriate !
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

How's this for an exotic shooting brake? Snapped this pic on F1 weekend in Montreal a few years ago.
    IMG_20190607_200035.jpg

Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato:
    5.9L V12
    Carbon fiber body.
    Photochromic roof glass
    Only 99 produced
    £650,000.
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

That there Aston wins the thread, never heard of the model or seen a picture of it, Very Exotic, :cool:
  18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The only EV I would ever consider.

19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Going back in this thread a year or so, I'd posted about the Morgan CXT, the offroad'ish custom version of their Plus 4. I was just watching a video about it this afternoon and they mention that one of the buyers (I believe just 7 were made) had his fitted with lift points to hoist it aboard his yacht. Does anyone know which yacht might be conveying this Morgan? I'm curious now...

20. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Honestly, it's like Porsche is just reading my mind at this point...

https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/models/911/911-st/

They literally put together a purist geek's "wishlist" car:
    -take the highest output naturally aspirated engine in the 911 lineup (the 911 GT3RS 4.0L, 518 hp)
    -mate it with a 6-speed manual gearbox from the GT3 Touring, but make it a close-ratio box for improved driver engagement on actual roads (vs a track)
    -add carbon fiber everything... front clip, door panels, roof, rear sway bar, rear suspension brace, seat backs, door pulls
    -fit lightweight glass to reduce weight and lower CG
    -fit carbon ceramic brakes
    -fit magnesium wheels
    -install bare minimum sound insulation
    -install lithium ion battery
    -develop new clutch and flywheel (23 pounds or rotational mass saved)
    -final weight is 1380 kg - which is in fact the lightest 911 of this generation, by 70 pounds.

You end up with the most modern "old school" Porsche 911 possible.

I remember hearing a quote from someone at Porsche quite a few years ago... I think it may have been at a Lemans weekend, not sure. When asked about electrification of their vehicles the reply was "we don't know when the last internal combustion car will be produced, but we do know it will be a 911". Sadly that wasn't hyperbole, it was prophetic: hhttps://jalopnik.com/the-911-will-be-the-last-gas-powered-porsche-1850678610
    alvareza and gr8trn like this.