Click for Comfort Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Cross

Any Experience with this transporter?

Discussion in 'Yacht Transport Ships' started by GFC, Apr 28, 2010.

1. GFC

GFC Senior Member

I'm in the process of trading my 330 Sundancer which is in WA state for a Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge which is in MI.

One quote I've received is from Able Boat Transport out of Tampa, FL.

Has anyone used this company? If so, what was your experience with them, good or bad?
  2. Don Reevers

Don Reevers New Member

Dont use them. I have heard many bad reviews about them. Check out Yacht Exports down in Ft. Lauderdale
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's always a good idea, with something as important as this, to check the BBB, Angie's List, and public records for complaints & suits.
  4. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Well, I used them because I couldn't really find a reason not to. Let's just say they didn't exceed the poor reputation they earned. Rather, they probably added to it.

They didn't get into my pocket for any extra money, but it did take a lot longer than expected for them to get the boat and flybridge hauled, and it did take a LOT of phone calls between me and the owner to get it done.

Oh, BTW, he has a bad habit of not returning his phone calls or answering his cell phone. No big surprise there, I guess.

The transport is done now, the boat is being put together and equipment I ordered installed and it will be all done next week.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

To me, that's one of the worst things a business or businessperson can do. I spent several years in the collection business, and lack of communication is what landed most accounts in collection. It's also what generates most consumer complaints. Foolish.:cool:
  6. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Not when you're trying to duck out from your responsibilities.

You're right about it generating complaints. I'd leave messages on his cell and work numbers and his office girls would promise to have him call me and he never would.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Whether you are or not, that's the impression it gives. If it's not your intention; then foolish. All too common though which was wonderful for my bank account.:D Once had an account for $12,000 for which I'd receive 50% of the amount collected. It had been through the company's AR dept., it's collection Dept., 2 collection agencies and an attorney to judgement. Probably 30 different people called and wrote to this guy demanding payment. When I called he said he just couldn't get that money together. So I asked " What can you do?" He thought for a moment then said "Well, I could give you $4,000 this week, 4 next anf 4 the following". Easiest $6,000 I ever made in my life. Communication!:cool: P.S. He also sent me a thank you note for treating him with respect.
  8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Other than first hand accounts of people saying they are terrible?
    I don't understand that logic, but to each his own. Perhaps there was something else that influenced your decision.

Glad to hear at least the transport issues are over and she's in he new home.

How does the summer schedule look for great lake boating?
    Great time of year of course to be on the lakes!
  9. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Not too bad here in NE Wisconsin. All the rain has helped bring water levels up to almost normal and the temps have been great when the sun is out.
  10. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Propbet, It's not that I'm masochistic or anything. Prior to my hiring them I didn't have any negative feedback about the company. I had googled the company name and found no negative comments. Had I found some negative comments I would have kept on looking.

As it turned out, the fact that I had withheld half of his fee until the boat and flybridge were successfully delivered gave me at least some negotiating power.

There was some minor damage to the boat and after a series of phone calls he agreed that I could withhold that amount from the final payment. Doing that ensured that I was "paid" for the damage and didn't have to wait months for him to get around to filing any insurance paperwork.

If I were ever to ship a boat again I would deal directly with the trucker or trucking company. Eliminating the load broker would save money and take out a middle man who could get in the way if the feathers hit the fan, if you know what I mean.
  11. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I gotcha. And please let me be clear, I wasn't being critical of your decision of knocking that. It read as though you had learned of prior poor experiences with others with this particular company, yet you still used them so it was a misunderstanding on my part. Again, didn't intend to sound nasty.