Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Antifouling Paint

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Teddy1, Feb 15, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Teddy1

Teddy1 New Member

I recently bought a sportfisherman that was located on Lake Michigan, the antifouling paint that was used on the boat was Sea Hawk Cukote. I am keeping the boat on the east coast, what is the best bottom paint to use for my area and are there only certain paints that could be used over whats on there now?

Mike
  2. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Where on the east coast are you located. I am in Savannah and this area gets the most growth I have seen anywhere. I use Trinidad on my boat but there are a lot of comperable paints out there. The paints they used to make were much better than they are now. The most important part is the application process and making sure its done right and here in Savannah having the hull cleaned monthly will definately prolong the life (if done correctly) Your area may not require that as often but here in Savannah in the summer with fresh paint you will be able to have an oyster roast in about 45 days from your hull if its not scraped.
  3. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Woops sorry I see your in NY
  4. Teddy1

Teddy1 New Member

My boat will be located in Westhampton Beach, NY and in the water from April thru October.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Mike, Lots of bottom paints will do the job for you here. Call Vick or Mike over at Surfside in WHB 288-2400. They'll give you a good rec. for the area. We really get extremely little growth until the 3rd week of August for about a month.
  6. Teddy1

Teddy1 New Member

I know Vic & Mike very well, they dry docked my previous boat for 7 years.

Thanks, Mike
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very good people, but you probably know that already.
  8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Teddy1

First of all, nice Egg. I had one before my Post, and both bottoms were/are painted with an abalative (spelling?) This paint is made by a number of good companies, and sheds a little bit on each run. It doesn't build up or chip like the "hard" bottom paints we all previously used. Had my bottom beaded, barrier coated (5 coats), and painted 9-10years ago with 3 coats of an abalative. First coat was black, second two were blue to see when I had worn down too far. Since then I have short hauled it every OTHER year with only a fresh coat of blue, with a diver on the off years. My slip is a little brackish from some minor sweet water creeks running into it. but essentially, its warm, salt water after June. The bottom is clean and smooth as a boiled egg....
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I just rehauled after sitting 7 months near the mouth of the Brisbane River having been painted with Jotun paint, and I have to say, I am very impressed. We rarely have moved in that time, and there's a lot of every kind of growth, soft and hard, on the boats around here, and my bottom was clean. A bit of scum at the water line and a lot of growth on unpainted ares, but all the painted surface, perfect. YMMV.
  10. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Latest "Technology"?

Gentlemen, perfect opportunity to hear from the forum on the much advertised latest "Technology"? using ultrasound etc to protect hulls?
    Would be interested in your views...
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Here in South Florida, I've found that the ablatives aren't that effective against barnacles compared to hard paint. It also doesn't seem to stay as effective for as long as the hard paints. I've had numerous yachts painted with either Micron or Trinidad or others and in the first month or two they're already growing stuff.......I've had other boats painted with Hard Paint from Interlux or Trinidad and it's stayed effective for 2 years and doesn't grow hardly anything in the first 6 months......and very little 6-12 months......

Granted you cannot go to hard paint, if you already have ablative and the hard paint does build up over a decade or longer.......
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I think two things help my use of ablatives (thanks for the correct spelling) here in the NE. First, the "growing" starts about mid June and ends in October. Second, I am lucky enough to run my boat at least once a week, and she can boogy, so I have that benefit.
  13. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
  14. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Has anyone used Prop Speed on thier metal? I have two customers that have used it and one has had minimal growth and the other has a lot. I don't know if it is an isssue of not applying it correctly or possibly electrolysis at their slip.
  15. Edonidd

Edonidd New Member

Can't post links from my phone, but has anyone heard of the new "nano tech" liquid glass? Probably a few years out from an application like this, but hull paint was one of the first things I thought of when I saw this. If anyone else can do a quick google search and post a link or post an opinion about this I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will try to add a link later when I get into my office.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

17. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Thanks CAP good info I didn't even think about searching the forum for it...
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For those who didn't catch this, the length and breath of subjects covered in depth on this forum is impressive. Remember that "SEARCH" button above. Glad I could help you BMS.
  19. Emerson

Emerson New Member

While glass is easier to clean than say... cotton ... I don't think coating your boat in glass is going to be the solution. Ever seen a bottle that's been sitting on the bottom for a few years?
  20. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Always works well for me.