Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Westport

Anti Rolling Tank stabilization - Who has experience?

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by jmais, Nov 15, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jmais

jmais New Member

specified stabilizing system for new build 84m, 15m beam is an active system with anti rolling tanks. I have heard of various projects where the performance of such systems was low.
    Who has experience and can compare water tank systems versus fin systems?

Performance (reduction factors at anchor and under way), energy consumption, noise & vibration, reliability?

I assume that system costs and maintenance costs are less with ART. Can you confirm?

Thanx.
    Juergen.
  2. The Reverend

The Reverend New Member

I have been fortunate to have worked for long periods on two large (75M) high quality yachts with anti roll tanks.
    On both vessels the sytems were removed one prior to me joining and one whilst I was onboard.
    (I was not involved in the decision to remove them in either case)
    In both cases the performance did not live up to expectation.
    Problems included:
    Not overly effective performance.
    Noise issues air/water
    Added displacement reducing performance and fuel/water capacity
    Poor space utilisation.
    I my opinion the latest generation of zero speed fins make the use of roll tanks (in yachts) obsolete.
    In particularly 4 fin sytems can produce amazing comfort and stability that AR tanks can never do.
    If you are building a multi million dollar yacht then the relatively small additional cost of stabilsers is insignificant especially as it is an item that directly affects the owners comfort.
    If you want further detailed info please PM me.
  3. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I would have to agree with the Reverend on this one. I played around with some anti-rolling tank research and was also familiar with the Interring active tank systems. In many cases they do work, of course, but are only effective in certain hull forms, only effective at exactly the natural roll period of the vessel and take up huge space with large weight penalty.

As previously stated, the relatively recent advances (last 8-10 years have seen many improvements and innovations) in fin and tab stabilizer designs and control thereof, all the way 'down' to zero speed, has made the choice easy.
  4. jmais

jmais New Member

Thanks for your posts. The Intering system is very close to what they want to install. It shall also be an air-controlled system from a Japanese manufacturer.

Space and weight are not of much concern as we are building close to 3000GT and we can actually use some weight.

BMcF,
    Have you seen such an air-controlled system in action?
  5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I have not personally seen any of the active flume tanks in action, no. However, I have, in the course of some research on the technology with a rather large-scale laboratory rig, done some correlation with data recorded from vessels that had them. An associate at the time (over 10 years ago) had direct experience with passive and active flume tanks and also with different active 'pendulum' or 'moving mass' systems.

One thing was very clear from all that I gleaned; the actively controlled anti-roll tanks (both the air pressure and/or transfer pumps and the transfer 'orifice' active) were much more effective than simple passive tank systems where I compared them.
  6. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi,

My experience with mentioned system:

1. Noisy. Especially, the moments, when tank's pressurizing air valves are opening / closing.

2. System is equipped with a pressure / level sensors (4-20 mA). They fail sometimes.

3. After a few years of usage of the system, air / water butterfy valves began to stuck.

4. System is equipped with PLC. Don't forget to change battery.

5. Air compressors consume a lot of energy and have to run constantly.

I don't know how is it all considered onboard of the yacht, but on a cargo ship, (which has to be in upright/straight position only during cargo operations) it works good.

brgds,

Andrei