Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Walker

Another Newb ? on which boat to buy

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by lots2learn, Jul 16, 2009.

1. lots2learn

lots2learn New Member

Hi All,

I’ve been reading and searching all day for the information but have had limited results. I am starting the very ground work of looking into a purchase of a sportfisher 33-40’ for next summer. Main uses will be gulf fishing 40-60nm, general cruising, and occasional overnight trips. I have a family of 6 and realize that this may be tight quarters on the overnighters but we manage in smaller motor homes now so I think this will be a good size to start. I may be on the wrong forum but cannot find anything close to the information I am looking for. I am not looking into a newer model 1m boat. More like one of the $30K older 80’s Silverton’s or Egg Harbors.

Now that you have a little background here are some questions I have.

1. Where can one find information on the styles trawlers, sportfisher, sedans etc to verify what I actually want is a sportfisher?

2. Where do I find information on these older model boats to verify they are built well?

3. Is acceptable to post in this forum it seems most of you have invested much more money than I plan on for the initial purchase.

I appreciate all the help and responses in advance.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums.

Do you realise that a 40 to 60 nm offshore trip is an 80 to 120nm return journey.

6 People in a 33 to 40ft boat on an overnighter does sound kinda tight at best.

As I don't know much aboutn these type boats I will wish you luck and am sure someone with more knowledge on these things will reply to your post.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Egg Harbor- Excellant boat. Not so thrilled with Silvertons although they did have a nice 38' aft cabin in the late 80's. With a SF or convertable you'll give up creature comforts like interior space, laders to the bridge instead of steps, and storage. Instead you'll get more speed (That era SF often cruises at about 18 kts; trawlers 8-10kts. SF & Sedans will burn more fuel than trawlers. Trawlers in that size and era will often be single screw and with 6 pax. I doubt you'll want to deal with the skill level needed to maneuver and dock. At that price point I go back to my 1st 2 sentances. Egg if you decide on a SF or the 38' aft cabin Silverton if you're looking more for family cruising. Good luck
  4. KonaLA

KonaLA New Member

the search

I've been in market for about 3-4 months now, although a totally different style of boat/requirements.

I'd suggest that if you haven't already done so, get into Yachtworld and just start looking at every type of boat out there and see how it matches up with your needs. Originally I thought I wanted a Hatteras ACMY (Fleming's are out of my price range:) ), ends up there are other boats that will be a better fit. Get to know what type of engines are going to match your needs. Talk with brokers, owners....get on as many boats as possible, ask questions, and most of all....enjoy the process!

The more you learn, the more questions and then the more direction you'll be able to give yourself.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

6. lots2learn

lots2learn New Member

The longer fishing trips would probably not be with the family but with a friend or two. Overnight stuff would be kept closer to home as my wife is still a little skeptical about it.

since the post I've looked at several of the trawlers in the 40' range and they too can be found in my price range, allthough much older. Besides speed is there any other downsides I should be aware of on trawlers? Better MPG and lower operating cost is a big plus. Also from what I'm reading they may ride rough water better...this would keep mamma happy.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

They also tend to ride more stable when going slow or at anchor. Some are extremely good in rough water. However, where with an 18kt boat you'll run for inland water in rough weather a trawler may have you putting your nose into the wind and riding it out. Different styles, both fun. Depends what you're into. Keeping mamma happy is paramount. No joke there.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would skip Silverton Entirely. There are several different Sportfish in your price range and size to look at. Bertram 35's and 38's. Viking 35's and 41's. Hatteras 36'. Etc. Etc.
  9. bglz42

bglz42 New Member

Come walk the broker docks at South Shore, and just crawl around on some different styles.
    I thought I wanted a trawler until I set foot on my Pace 36 Sportfish. I can fish, cruise, party, sleep etc as good as any. With a diesel SF, you can cruise at trawler speed, (1000-1200rpm, 6-8 knots) and get 2.5-4 mpg. But you have the option of jumping up to 24-30 knots to run from a t-storm or get a hurt passenger back to civilization quickly. Best of both worlds.

Attached Files:

10. lots2learn

lots2learn New Member

I was thinking of shecking the South Shore, Kemah etc... soon just to look over some.

Nice boat and good points.
  11. lots2learn

lots2learn New Member

Couple more questions came to mind in factoring all the cost. Any and all help appreciated.

How much would insurance run for a yacht in the 35-40' range? Since my price point is much lower I would probably be looking for a mid 80's or early 90's model. I know this is a highley variable question but just trying to get some ball park figures.

What's an average cost for a marina slip for a 35-40' yacht in the Galveston/Kemah area?

Thanks again for all the help
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

if you're routinely going to go 40 to 60 miles offshore, you really want something tough. 80's vintage hatteras or Bertram. Egg, viking and Ocean too, but not that vintage silverton. The 80s 36' Hatt. is a great boat, not sure if it will fit in your budget

best place to browse is Yacht World.com, although dont' forget many listing prices are in the "wishful thinking full denial category". you can search by brand, size, age,price range, etc...

using a trawler to go fishing 50 miles out, is going to take a while... you really want a diesel sportfish for that and have the ability to head back in a hurry if the weather turns on you. If the western gulf is like the easter portion, you want something that will be able to pound in some weather without falling apart.

not sure about the specifics, but on average count on $600 to $750 a month for a 40' slip. insurance, after teh massive losses in texas, i wonder what it's going to be like... 4% to 5% of value?
  13. bglz42

bglz42 New Member

My slip at SSH is $350 plus electric (15-25 bucks)... Full floaters, well protected, NO LOSSES IN IKE!

My insurance runs 1400 a year.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't forget to check National Liquidators. There are a lot of repo boats going for a song including madoff's 56' Rybo.
  15. lots2learn

lots2learn New Member

about what I was expecting thanks for the info everyone.

I'll check those sites although I'm still several months out from a purchase.
  16. Mark I

Mark I Member

IMO.

50-60 miles each way is a bit far to be ranging in a Silverton. It is a decent, inexpensive boat delivering alot for the money but it is not a heavily built offshore boat. Eggs of that vintage are good boats but there are a few years where rot can be an issue as they used alot of wood. Surveys are essential.

Lots of 41 Vikings around due to a long production run. Diesels over gas for sure on anything 35 feet and up. Consider cruising speed and fuel burn when thinking about regular offshore trips.

Good advice here about surfing Yachtworld and National Liquidators. Get out and crawl around in a few models. The search can be fun.

My .02
  17. lots2learn

lots2learn New Member

Going to just bring this thread back up since it is still pertaining to the same general questions.

I spent some time on a 30 Grady White over the weekend. It was a cuddy style nice boat but not a sportfisher. (I did admire many of the sportfisher’s in the marina especially a 60’-80’ Hatterras that was there).

Anyway I heard from a few people on this trip claiming passengers could not ride in the salon on a sportfisher. Is this true?

The whole thought was on the family trips (near shore or Bay) when kids were tired and mom was hot they could relax into the Salon area for the ride or while fishing.

If this is not the case I would need to find something with a lot more sitting capacity on the bridge etc. or an entirely different style boat.

My thoughts are this is probably not true because that would be a lot of wasted space, but then the sea sickness thing comes into mind about not being able to see the waves etc.. May cause one to become sea sick easier.

I would be interested in hearing how your guest travel in the sportfishers especially anyone with children.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The cabin on any boat is suseptable to filling with carbon monoxide if the salon door is open and proper venilation is not provided. That's more likely to happen on that GW than on a 40'SF as the 40 is likely airconditioned or has a hatch high enough to open without taking in the seas. Sea sickness is another story. When it comes the cabin is not the place to be. So the short story is that those people ar wrong.
    On several boats I've captained the kids spend the entire trip in the cabin watching TV or playing video games.
  19. Mark I

Mark I Member

To add to what NYCAP has said, what they are referring to is the "station wagon effect". Without a hatch open for ventilation and with a rear salon door open, exhaust will be sucked back toward the boat and potentially into the cabin. Side and underwater exhaust reduces this issue and proper ventilation eliminates it.

Carbon monoxide detectors are a must in any case.

I never saw it as an issue on my gas or diesel convertibles.
  20. Manny

Manny Senior Member

That is completely false. My sons(and even me sometimes) go to the salon to watch TV or just sit around while we're on a long 2-4 hour trip, and my wife spends the time in the side master. It's perfectly fine to be inside while navigating in a SF.

As for recommendations, I'd recommend Bertrams made in the 80's. They were among the best boats at the time(and I would know, I've owned 2)