Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport

Another Ft. Lauderdale gas boat fire, drifts into megayacht at Bahia Mar

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt J, Jan 17, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Not knowing the specifics, I wonder what the marinas are doing as far as advising and requiring gas boats to run their blowers and other precautions. On the lake, where it as all gas boats, the were constantly reminding people. I've never fueled a gas boat here.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Actually, I have. a RIB and don't recall if we were cautioned.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I had just pulled out of Bahia Mar 10 minutes earlier. We saw the smoke behind us as we were at markers 9 and 10 to the New River........I don't even recall the boat that was at the fuel dock.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I guess the “journalist” who wrote that thing The Sun Sentinel never went to journalist school. Gee... a 10 year old could have written a better article

I m surprised nobody attempted to move either boat. Maybe the captain of the bigger boat wasn’t on board. At least find an anchor with some chain, from the dinghy, throw it in the burning boat and move it away.

I found this pic on IG earlier.
    7EBB3C9D-55F4-4844-B9E9-B2164D1C9EDB.jpeg
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

They could stand around on the dock next to it but they couldn’t un-cleat that bow line and move it away from the other boat?
  7. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

The cause of this fire is yet to be determined however failing aluminum fuel (gas) tanks are a big problem in boats built as late as 2002. The gas boats from the 80's and early '90's with the tank bottoms in the bilge water are grenades.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Kind of think she would have blown on her way there or at some other time were that the case. My money's on failure to use the blowers. Amazing that nobody moved her away from the fuel dock and the yacht behind it. Guess they got the employees they paid for.
  9. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Good point. Filling up a rod holder is an overdue event.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

So true. Lol. But wrong type boat.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The blowers are Part of the problem. First you need a fuel leak then you need a spark. Everything on a gasser is supposed to be ignition proof...

What is amazing to me is that so many gas boats are operating without a fume detector These should be mandatory.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Once that thing ignited, I would'nt have gotten within 200' of it. No amount of property is worth someone's life trying to untie a line. I passed them while fueling and 3 minutes later saw a HUGE black cloud behind me (but with land/houses in between so couldn't see what it was.)

Could be the fuel tank, the extra weight could've split it, could've been a bad fuel fill hose, could've been a bad vent hose, it might've even ignited while fueling, who knows what the boat owner did or didn't do or what exactly caused it. That's for the fire experts to figure out.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I wonder why the larger boat behind didn’t try to get out of there. I bet the owner is asking the same question !
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

They're not, cause if blowers are used they shouldn't be necessary. They're in the cabins for carbon monoxide. A working automatic fire extinguisher system would have been nice on this and the one up the new river. And you don't need a leak, All you need is the gasoline fumes coming in the vent and collecting in the bilge. The blower and the bilge pump are the only non-sparks. Turn the key and boom.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not a matter of property. If those pumps caught it might have been many lives endangered.
  16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Also, If there was any recent engine work, let's say a new starter, was it ignition protected, or was the replacement part purchased from a discount auto store??

Does anyone know if there was heat or other damage to the bow of that yacht? I hope someone, at least, had a water hose stream on that bow.
  17. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I believe that is "W"... if I am not mistaken she JUST got a refit last year at Feadship.
  18. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

Indeed you are correct it is W (ex Larisa) which just recently got a refit and complete new paint at Feadship. I saw some pictures of the yacht after the fire was put out, its mostly cosmetic nothing major. Still I would be pissed if I was the owner. Wonder why the captain/crew didn't move her out? Was it a tight spot or the captain was absent?
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No time. I passed the boat on the fuel dock and saw nothing out of the ordinary and less than 1/2 a mile later I saw a HUGE plume of black smoke behind me.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

First sign of fire nearby, you fire up the engines and gen, and be ready to get out of dodge. Shore power cables can be pulled on deck deck and lines dropped.

I assume this is an alum hull, had it been fiberglass it would have been a different story