Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Comfort Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning

Another boat fire in Fort Lauderdale

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Norseman, Oct 15, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A captain who doesn’t understand the difference between a gas leak in a boat or in a car??? Boats have bilges where gas and fumes will collect. A car engine compartment is open so any gas or fumes will get out. Pretty big difference.

I use a charcoal magma mounted on the stern, outside the rail... anything happens it can be tilted out so the charcoal Can be dumped in the water. And we have a hose 6’ away. I ve actually practiced an emergency shutdown and dump (after the steaks were cooked) and it s extinguishes and safe in seconds.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I did ... 20+ years ago They can be safe with routine inspection, a fireboy system, a fume detector and if you NEVER EVER use auto parts or anything not ignition protected. At 5 years I would replace fuel hoses and clamps with USCG approved hose

Problem is that most people don’t do that on older boats
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Lots of IF’s, and yes it can be done safely IF this and if that.
    Back to the topic of this chapter: They fueled 5 minute prior, then blew up, inboard gas motors, 3rd degree burns. :confused:
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Lol!:D That was my first guess.
    I know Ft. Lauderdale is known for its big boats, but look around. What do you think runs all those 25' and 35' express cruisers and such, a $12,000 gas motor or a $60,000 diesel?
    I just read in your article no PFDs or fire extinguishers and they just fueled. Wonder if the blowers worked or were even used. There's going to be some very busy lawyers. Wouldn't want to be the owner, even if it was bareboat. Wouldn't want to be the person who ran it either. They're F---d
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Right on all counts.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Insanity.

Now, has anyone ever heard of this musician, Jaican?
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wish I didn't. I just looked up one of his videos on Youtube......LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I couldn't even find him on Google. Oh god, I couldn't make it through the entire song. I lasted 32 seconds.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Does anybody know who the boat was rented through?
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

When I searched for his name, google auto corrected to Jamaican... had to click on the “so you want to search for Jaican instead” link. :)

I didn’t bother even trying to listen to anything.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hi mother and GF think he's a star.
  12. timvail

timvail Senior Member

I cant comment on your part of the world regarding proper maintenance for gas powered inboards etc. I can tell you i can only recall a couple of boat fires related to gas fumes in my 45 years of boating in our neck of the woods. And we have a lot of boats in our area. Remember we only have about 3 months of good boating weather to enjoy. This morning the temperature was just above freezing. I can tell you the gas inboards will start a lot easier and cleaner then most diesels will up here. And cost is certainly a factor as well Im sure given the short season. I dont know anyone with twin inboards that do not have a sniffer and fire surpression system on board. Running blowers for 5 minutes and sticking your nose down below before you turn the key is like putting your seatbelt on before you put the truck in drive.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When they first came aboard the batteries were dead. Of course you shut everything that'll draw on the batteries. I think it's a safe bet they didn't turn on the blower. 'What are the odds anything will go wrong?' Pretty good as it turns out.
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Boat is still there as of 1 hour ago. Not pretty.

F3956D6F-20F9-45FB-A892-59D52611B901.jpeg
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The big question; Evidence or keep out tape all around?
    I can imagine investigations in process.
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, they are investigating for sure.
    Tried to get closer but looked like a barrier blocked the canal.
    My picture was from the River.
  17. ocgrant

ocgrant New Member

WOW thank god he was where he was when that happened. Further down the river and it might have drifted into other boats tied up and what a mess that would have been. At least there the fire dept had it easy to get to. I was in Atlanta and got the alert from Ch 7 and when I saw it I was like holy crap that is near my boat. I am docked just down the river at Davie Blvd bridge 1/2 mile from there.
    I saw some cell phone video from one of the passengers on twitter before it was pulled down, it was packed inside that thing... Crazy and many of them didn't know how to swim. Just another low budget music video gone bad.
  18. amgscrap

amgscrap Member

What about jet tenders or even PWC. Are they safe. I have a Williams jet tender. I do put the blower on for a few minutes before I start the unit. But now reading this thread wondering about the safety.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Put your nose in there after fueling. Put your eyes and nose in there when servicing and before launching.
    These actions have been recommended near forever.
    When I was young, every time the motor was to be started; oil, engine and engine area inspection were preformed.
    Never smelled gas or found unexpected wet but always inspected the ER.
    One time, found water in the engine oil. Saved that engine.

We live on a diesel boat. I'm still in the ER after every fueling checking on things as I had learned as a child.

Big boat, lil tender.
    Gas operators just need to get their head out of other places and into the bilges.