Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Anchoring

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Kafue, Nov 14, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

I was recently told by a friend in Stuart, while sharing a drink or 5, that the 3 things you never discuss whilst cruising with a group are;
    Religion
    Politics
    Anchoring!

Okay, so here goes, forget the first two, they are unimportant while at anchor!
    I have a 53 foot Hatteras.
    61,000lbs.
    Simpson Lawrence 4000 windlass!
    No REAL anchor yet.
    No amount of chain.
    We cruise a lot.
    Bottom is usually sand and mud.
    When we fish, mostly troll, but sometimes anchor in which case I use the rope and sand anchor.
    We have been through some quite bad weather while at anchor, so prefer overkill rather than "Palm Beach Cool"
    I have had Plow and Bruce.
    Have been recommended Delta.

What are the thoughts on best anchor, it's wieght and amount of chain, and chain spec?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah, anchoring is always a bit topic.

I don't think there are bad anchors out there but some work better than others in some bottom

I anchor a lot... Last month on a run down the US East coast I anchored abot 27 nights out of 30, with a 20' beam enclosed skylounge 70 footer. I have a 110lbs claw / bruce and all chain. Every night the anchor set on first attempt, held in winds up to 40kts+ and reset / held fine in tidal anchrages where current flipped every 6 hrs

Mostly mud on that trip although I ve use the anchor in sand as well and it does well. I do use a lot of scope though which is key. Using all chain helps too as the friction on the bottom helps a lot when dealing with current (drag on the bottom whnencurrent switches helps not yanking it off the bouton)

I really like that Bruce!

On my own boat (53 hatt my) i have an fx55 which my hold better but doesn't reset on a shift It s soon going to be replaced by Bruce

As to the delta, I ve had issues in soft mud where it would hold in the very same spots the Bruce or FX held very well
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Hi Pascal,
    So its a Bruce!
    What wieght do you recommend, 100lb?
    As for amount of chain let out, I usually go by twice depth plus boat length.
    Now while you are here, a common question ( I searched it but so many results it would take hours!):
    The 53 Conv has 12V71N's with 90 hours. I am having the 100 hour service done now. The engine survey was perfect. Only issue was lack of use but all pistons etc looked good.
    Q: I will be doing a 450 to 500 nm trip when she arrives moving her North to home.
    What is the best cruise speed and fuel consumption?
    Sea conditions on the East Coast can vary greatly. Usually 1.5 to 2.5 metres. plus a Swell of 1 to 2 metres. After 3.5 metres I usually find an anchorage until I can enjoy the trip better.
    Have good advice from Capt. J to throttle up every hour or so to clean out the engines.
    Many Thanks,
    George
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What water depth are you anchoring in? Water depth will help determine amount of chain. However 200' of chain and 300-500' of 3 strand nylon is a good combination. B

I prefer a danforth for soft bottom and mud and then a plow anchor. Bruce's (at least for me) seem to reset a lot in soft bottom and I always use at least 3x scope with all chain. With a Danforth, once it's set, it seems to stay planted in one spot and you swing on the planted anchor.......However a plow will generally reset better on it's own if it does reset......

Your best combination of cruise speed versus fuel consumption would be 1000 rpms or less..But run it where the engine stays at operating temperature.....Run it up to cruise every 6 hours or more often.
  5. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

i'd get a rocna ... 40kg anchor, 100m 10mil chain.
  6. SkipperEarly

SkipperEarly New Member

try the jambo (http://www.jamboanker.com/) - but as it was already said - dont talk about anchoring IT IS LIKE RELIGION and it is different in different parts of the world ;) :D

BTW I am neither related nor hold interests in Jambo
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I have been anchoring a lot and used most of the anchors on the market.
    Lived on a sailboat in the Caribe in the 80s for 3 years without insurance, needed good anchors. Useda Delta quite a bit, good solid holding, but the new generation beats the Delta, Bruce, CQR, etc hands down:
    Rocna, Spade and Manson Supreme all are good and much better than previous generation.

Got a Rocna 20 KG for my 33' sailboat.

It holds better and sets faster than the previous hook, a Delta 25 KG.

Scope (Lenght of chain/line) should be 7 times the depth if you want to sleep really good when a thunderstom kicks up in the anchorage at 2 AM with 50 knots wind.

Here is a link to the Rocna page:
    http://www.rocna.com/main.php?section=what&chapter=intro&page=0

(No, I don't own shares of the company, nor do I get a commision)
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might have trouble selling the Rocnas to an Australian as they are from just over the horizon from where he will be based.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, we all know Aussies are open minded and love to do business with their Kiwi brothers, should not be a problem.;)
  10. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

If it is good enough to keep a KIWI from driftin', is good enough for me, Mate!:D
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

It's not the business, or the cricket (does NZ still have an 11?)
    It's the bloody RUGBY!
  12. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Member

Our 50 ft 40,000 lb boat came with a Delta plow as the primary anchor. Got a FX 55 Fortress as a second anchor which holds very well, and is nicely stored in the anchor locker in two pieces.

We replaced the Delta with a 33 Kg Rocna last year and it works much better than the plow. Sets very quickly and does not drag although it was a challenge once to set on a sea weed covered bottom. I think the FX 55 maybe has the best holding power, it is a bit more difficult to set and does not reset as well as the Rocna.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

twice teh depth plus boat length? wow... i'd never go that short!

i like to know that my boat is not going to move once i set the hook, with average conditions i usually go 6 or 7:1 (depth + bow height + tide if applicable). as capt J asked, it depends on how deep the water is where you typically anchor, on the US east coast in most places it's 10 to 30' on average. obviously when anchoring in deeper water, you will not be able to use that much scope...

again, i've used that anchor for the past 3 years, from Cape Cod to Georgetown in the Exumas and it's worked very well for me. I ran out of holding power jsut 3 times, each time when a squall passed by and wind exceeded 40kts. but even then, it was a very slow, manageable drag with the boat falling back about 50' over a half hour period. 40kts+ is storm anchor territory so i can't really blame the anchor for running out of holding power.

on a 53, the 110 pounder would be a great anchor although a little on the heavier side but on a heavy hatt, 30 lbs doens't make a difference.

the other thing i like about the bruce is the price... about $350 for a 110lbs anchor is a bargain. frankly when i tried it 3 years ago, i was thinking it was too good to be true and it was going to bend or fail... it didnt'.

now if want fancy, I have beautiful Stainless Steel Danforth, 60lbs, i'm trying to sell as it's too small for the 70 footer. :)

I've seen a lot of clowns not being able t0o anchor over the years, from weekenders to "pros". we've even had charter guests commenting on how nice it was to be on a boat where anchoring isnt' a fire drill or when they were not awaken at 2 am by the mains begind fired up... anchoring is the easiest thing to do, and it's also the easiest thing to mess up! the keys are:

- oversized anchor
    - all chain (or at least 300' of chain + line if anchoring in deeper water)
    - plenty of scope
    - backing down very slowly when paying out scope (if it's windy or the current is strong, I actually slow the boat down with the mains). i try not to fall back faster than 3 quarter of a knot when setting.

on your 53, the best speed for range and economy is going to be about 9kts. In my MY, which is the same hull as the SF, i burn about 9 to 10gph with the 8V71N, so i'd guess with the 12s, you'll be around 11to 12 GPH at that speed.

what you really want to avoid is running between 10 and 15kts... you'ld be burning almost the same as you would if fully on plane but going a lot slower and loading up the engines pushign a big wave. the boat i run has electronic engines... at just under 10kts i burn about 18pgh... at 11kts, than goes to around 30 to 35gph... almost twice teh fuel for 10% more speed.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Apart from getting used to wipe the floor at Twickenham on Saturday the performance of the Kangaroos didn't look too sharp at the Suncorp Stadium either.
  15. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I vote Rocna as well.

But the best all around rode setup is a combination of chain and line. You get the abrasion resistance and cantenary effect of chain with the shock absorbency of the line. As well as adding less weight to the bow of your boat.
  16. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Here are some sites you may find interesting.

http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Anchor/anchor_study.htm

http://www.practical-sailor.com/newspics/charts/29-23-Anchor.pdf

http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Anchor/conclusion.htm#Holding Power
  17. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Good advice, thanks.
    As for not letting out enough chain, here are my numbers:
    40 feet depth.
    Let out 80 feet plus boat length: 133 ft
    Sounds similar to your equation of (depth + bow height + tide if applicable)
    No thanks to the Danforth "fancy":cool:
    Reading the responses, seems it is a toss up between Bruce and Rocna?
    Regards
  18. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Hi James, Obvious question: best operating temperature?
    Hope you are well Mate.
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well in 40' I put 200 to 250' ! If I am in a crowded anchorage i will set with that much scope then shorten it up to 150 or so after the anchor is set
  20. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Thats because most the NZ team had Aussie training........
    BtW which anchor do you suggest, and don't say a used IVECO cause it won't suit the boat!