Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Delta

Anchor and chain sizing

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by myadvice, Sep 14, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. myadvice

myadvice New Member

hi
    Looking for information.
    The vessel has to have two kedge anchors how does one choose anchor weight and chain size and length for a MY 112' 110tons unladen, +/-140tons laden.
    john.
  2. techmati

techmati Senior Member

i think you should check with the class and builder. then come back and see if any of the captain's here recommend oversizing.

there is mca regs for small craft only in that respect but you exceed that length and i have no idea if their equations will be appropriate.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

To be effective the Kedge Anchors and chains should be the same size and weight as the bow ones.

Why do you need two Kedge Anchors?
  4. myadvice

myadvice New Member

The two anchors in question are bow anchor's, but kedge style, if that makes it clearer.
    The boat is in design stage at the moment and we are trying to find the weight it will be for construction reasons. The builders can only advise once they know the displacement weight of the boat.

So if any Captains or engineers out there work on a similar MY 112' /34m long or around 110tons unladen, +/-140tons laden with two bow anchors. Could they give there details of anchor weight, chain size, length.
    Many thanks
    John.
  5. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

6. myadvice

myadvice New Member

TSI AV,

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction, thanks once again. enjoy the w/end.
    regards
    John.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A "Kedge Style" anchor seems to look like this http://cgi.ebay.com/KEDGE-STYLE-30-FISHING-ANCHOR_W0QQitemZ7399191349QQcategoryZ63615QQcmdZViewItem

Are you really going to use these on a brand new 112' Motor Yacht?

Kedge Anchor is the name I am familiar with as being applied to Stern Anchors which in my own personal experience are used to hold the boat's stern in a certain position in relation to the swell, beach etc, to stop swinging in a confined anchorage.

My own personal experience has also shown that to be fully effective these Anchors ned to be sized as I said in my previous post also being able to see the chain direction when it is anywhere other than directly behind the boat will reduce the stress levels when trying to retrieve one after it has dragged and you have swung around!
  8. myadvice

myadvice New Member

K1w1,

Hope this puts your mind at ease, this is the kedge we are using.

http://manson-marine.co.nz/SitePages/stainlesskedge.htm

We call the anchor you mentioned a fishermans, different strokes for different strokes. thanks for your input though.

This ends this inquiry thanks to all
    John.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thise are pretty sharp looking anchors, If you look around the site a bit more there is a table to help work out the sizing.
  10. alx

alx New Member

Hello,

What we would have on a brand new 34m yacht would be a couple of DAnforth anchors about 150-160 kgs in weight each and 120 & 140 metres of chain 16mm in diameter

According to my calculations you would then need a moderate 2500-2700kg of max. pull capacity of each for the windlasses.

Cheers
    Alex :eek: