Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn

An Electric Outboard Motor...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Mar 12, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Has anyone on the board seen or heard of an electric outboard?

I'm doing some research into electric outboard motors (not trolling motors) and I'm looking for anything greater than 10 horsepower.

Anybody know?

Carl
  2. Capt. Riccelli

Capt. Riccelli New Member

Didn't Glen-L have a set of plans for a washing machine motor rig over an outboard leg in their catalog? Looked reasonably simple, but the motor wouldn't last too long is sea air I'd think.
  3. rbmitchell

rbmitchell New Member

ELCO, or the Electric Launch Company, somewhere in upstate NY was resurrected a few years back and the owner, at least then, would have had a handle on the competition which would have included outboard devices. That's Joe Fleming whose understanding of all things electrical is unsurpassed.
  4. YachtForums

I found an interesting link...

http://www.cloudelectric.com/generic.html?pid=39

It's for a world record holding, one man electric outboard hydroplane. It has recently run 78 mph. What was more impressive was... the length of the extension cord!;)

Carl
  5. YachtForums

Here's a company positioning themselves to take advantage of a growing segment in the marketplace. When Fuel Cells become commercially and fiscally viable, they should begin riding a ripple that will become a tsunami.

"The first outboard model in the eCycle line of electric marine propulsion systems was first introduced in 2003. Its contra-rotating propellers transform a conventional rating of 6hp to a thrust equivalent of 9.9hp. It is perfect as primary power for sailboats, fishing boats, inflatables and tenders. It is also the perfect trolling motor. The eMI 6 H.O. has the all the power, reliability and features expected in an outboard coupled with high efficiency and low maintenance."

Here's a picture...

Attached Files:

6. rbmitchell

rbmitchell New Member

There maybe some of the devil in the details. "Thrust equivalent" is not nearly the same as "equivalent". That is, 9.8 hp would be more than 7 kW or 600 amps from a 12 volt source.

I don't think its a good idea to get someone interested who just wants 9.8 real horsepower to get his dinghy on plane.