Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Amels Yachts

Discussion in 'Amels Yacht' started by German Yachting, Mar 4, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

This is the famous video of the high speed approach onto Illona in Nassau. I assume this video is faster than the actual approach speed of the Helo. If not, this pilot would have been pressing his luck. A professional helicopter landing on a small landing spot with no forward missed approach possibility looks different. But this video shows clearly the stupid design of this landing pad. Additionally several safety measures and procedures are disregarded during this approach.

Provided this video is shown in real speed, on my boat, this pilot would have lost his job. You can tell by the face of this passenger in the rear seat, that he was not amused.

Pofessional helicopter pilots are teached to approach a landing spot on the aft deck of a ship with some offset, stop forward motion completely prior reaching a point almost abeam the landing pad and then hower sideways onto the landing spot. Which was difficult on the old Ilona landing pad, as both on the port and starboard side the landing pad was not unobstructed according to LY2. This procedure is even more important, if the ship is in forward motion (with the nose into the wind), as the superstructure of a ship is causing a pretty high amount of turbulence (wash) behind the ship.

Will say, a landing on a small helo deck can be done by real Pro but very carefully and as safe as possible.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but no old and bold pilots (old chinese saying :)).
  2. Hohum

Hohum Senior Member

I think the best solution to the yacht helicopter storage integration issue is seen on Madame-Gu. It has some downsides (not being able to land on the yacht whilst its moving) but the design keeps the best parts of the yacht for the guests, the hangar/pad is flush with the praised foredeck and it has plenty of space for landing/approach.

The main downside I can see is the small size of the hangar.
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Hohum, I do agree with You. This is exactly the the type and construction of a hangar I was trying to explain in my previous posts about the FYS hangar. Sliding roof, the elevator comes up and builds an integral part of the landing deck AND the landing pad is fully usable with the elevator in the up and down position. Plus the elevator shaft can be protected with a safety fence (because the roof does not turn around).

Helideck.jpg

Helihangar.jpg

But this yacht is big enough to carry such a long bow and there is enough space in front of the hangar for the covered mooring deck and maybe a rescue boat hangar. And that explains the design of Madam Gu with its almost unproportional long bow section. But she is still a good looking yacht.

And you are right again. If I would try a landing on this deck with my Helo, I would not want this boat to move in any direction during my approach. If have seen a Helo pilot flying backwards during his landing approach but that is far beyond my rotary wing flying skills.

I do not know the flag state of Madam Gu and this helicopter but if they fly under JAR Ops and on a LY3 or commercially classed landing deck like we have to do, this helicopter landing pad arrangement must be a very expensive construction (crew requirements, crew training and certification, fire fighting and ground equipment, water and burning fuel tightness plus flushing fatilities !!). I think, the aft landing deck and hangar on Octupus was cheeper to build.
  4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Project Freefall, the first Amels 242 has her final name. She is called "Plvs Vltra".
  5. Yacht News

Amels 55-meter "Gene Machine" crossing the Atlantic with some rough weather

6. Yacht News

A new 55-meter Limited Edition Amels yacht has been recently sold. I believe it is one of the most recent hulls to arrive at Amels. So this one should launch in 2017. Here is a render of perhaps what she will look like. We have seen this colour hull on sister hulls like "ADdiction" before but not with the black superstructure. Would have to see how this one turns out if indeed this is the final paint scheme.

Attached Files:

7. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

The LE 171 "Belle Aimee" is now called April.
  8. Yacht News

"Intrepid" to or from trials in this photos. Photo by Joop Klaasman

Attached Files:

9. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

"Intrepid" is the support vessel to OceAnco's "Infinity".
  10. Yacht News

Interesting Milow!
  11. Yacht News

Also, i'm wondering...one of the latest yachts delivered by Amels, the 55-meter "Elixir" looks kind of similar to this yacht in the render. Did this delivery move up or is this a totally different yacht to the one in the render?

Attached Files:

12. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

This is a different hull. What's interesting is she carried some large rib on the helipad
  13. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

Additional to those stored in the bow? I have seen seen superyachts of the LE storing their tenders on the aft
    upper deck
  14. German Yachting

Yup take a look at the photos of her after delivery.
  15. Yacht News

Can't she the physical tender in this Emmanuel .L photo of her in Malta but you definitely can see the tender chocks.

Attached Files:

16. German Yachting

Amels has launched the first LE272 Hete Comes The Sun
  17. Yacht News

I quite like that paint combination of the coffee like hull and white superstructure with the black mast and boot.
  18. shipy102

shipy102 New Member

The name of the yacht is Here comes the Sun....
  19. German Yachting

Meant that was a typo. I haven't formulated a full opinion about her yet but I do like her from the stern and from the bow. She might be a tad cramped and could use a couple meters in the aft. Also, the lowest deck seems pretty high comparatively.
  20. Dillon1018

Dillon1018 Member

Elixir is now for charter, Quite quickly after delivery I might add, The listing features many interior pictures... Quite nice for my tastes..