Click for Nordhavn Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Aluminum Roamer Models and Drafts

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by harehunter, Jul 28, 2010.

1. harehunter

harehunter New Member

I am looking into and comparing Aluminum boats in the 28-36 ft range. I am interested in a cruiser that could be trailered mostly for storage purposes but moving from Lake Michigan to Lake Huron would be great once or twice a year. I am also considering draft in the equation because I have a free mooring location on Houghton Lake in Michigan, which is a shallow sandy lake average shore mooring depths 3-4 feet of water. I have been looking at Marinettes which boast a 24 inch max draft. My 36 Wood hull connie had a 3 ft draft but I think I could have successfully moored that but trailering would be out of the question. Mahogany hulls are heavy. I would prefer another Chris Craft in the 28-36 ft range but want a draft around 2 ft or less. Do you guys know where I can get model and specs information on aluminum Roamers because that s what I prefer? I am looking to be in the buying mode sometime over the next 3 years, as I don't have the savings required to purchase an nearly fully restored vessel. So, I have time to do my research.
  2. gerconst

gerconst Member

Elk Rapids Harbor, Michigan and Gibraltar, Michiga
    There are two places I get my information. One is the book Chris Craft the essential guide by Jerry Conrad or go to chris-craft.org and look in the archive section. You wil have to join the chris craft antique boat club in order to look into the archives. Good Luck, Dave
  3. Travlinman1352

Travlinman1352 Member

Aluminum Boats

I would recommend a 1962-63 Roamer Custom Comet or Silver Comet (same hull). These were the first aluminum hull boats built by Chris Craft Roamer. They are 27ft long a 10 ft beam and draft 24 inches. They weigh approx. 6700 pounds, and were built with single and twin V8 engines. This information provided by "Chris Craft The Essential Guide by Jerry Conrad" an excellent source of information on Chris Craft boats. I Chose the Comet line for the same reasons you listed and am in the process of restoration.
    I also have a friend that owns a 28 ft Marinette with similar properties nice boats with modern appeal. I believe either would suit your needs. Good Luck.

Attached Files:

4. Looks good... whats the neighbors say ??? LOL Seriously, I am jealous. I wish mine were at home; its starting to need some real attention...Oh, and BTW, POST SOME MORE PICS!!!!! ws