Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Delta

Aluminum PT Boat

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by alloyed2sea, Feb 24, 2012.

1. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Yes, it's true.
    After years of folks down at the marina saying, "Hey man, your boat looks like the PT-109" (never mind the Japanese destroyer following close behind) - we have discovered the truth: The 1938 PT-8. :cool:
    And yes, it is made out of aluminum (just what grade the owner wont say).
    Still, it has to be the very (very) oldest USN combatant afloat made out of beer cans, what with twin Allison 2,000-hp engines and another Hall-Scott 550-hp engine for "trolling" she's available for sale today at a mere $1.2MN: http://www.ablboats.com/74741
    Just not sure that Capt. Binghamton would have approved, much less McHale's crew.
    ENJOY!
    -Eric
    PS - Do NOT call this guy unless you have a spare ear.

Attached Files:

2. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Nice. If I'm not mistaken, she was on ebay several years ago.
  3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Wouldn't have been made of beer cans as, back in those days, they were made of steel.
    No pull-tabs, either... a 'church key' was required to pop open a cold one.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Must admit, I've never seen a PT like this. When was she built?
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I guess "The 1938 PT-8" was built in 1938...
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Oh really?!
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

quite possibly! Maybe that was just when the hull was laid and she was really built in 2005.....LOL
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sometimes I wonder about myself. Other times I'm sure. Duh!:eek: Guess I got stuck on that bow that reminded me of the old 19' Boston Whaler. Anybody know any history behind this style PT?
  9. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Am just wondering about the price tag! Too much even for a piece of history.

Cheers.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It looks way overbuilt when looking at how close all of the rib's are in the boat. I'm guessing it came in quite a bit heavier than wood ones and that's why it became a double-build (first and last).......Very interesting that it has the origional propulsion in it though.
  11. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Buy Low,...

..., sell high.
    While it is a genuine piece of history, think it really ought to go to a museum.
    Vosper Thornycroft (Vosper Thornycroft.* History of Vosper Thornycroft Shipbuilders) were and are fabulous sea-going vessels, "Defenders of the Realm" and all that, but nevertheless, tut-tut, looks like rain.
    Hull design actually derives from the Catalina PYB, one of WW2 greatest seaplanes. Later, English "colonies" such as Malaysia would even adopt the hull design (see "Perkasa" below).
    Not sure if old "JJ" Thorny himself would have approved, but still, it's better than a Jerry E-Boat showing up in the marina, no? :eek:
    Cheers!
    -Eric

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Great images here. Any ideas what the top end on that PT would be? With that bow flair/design she would appear to keep a lot of green water off the decks.
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Aluminum was far too expensive and important to the aircraft industry in those days to waste it on boats.

There wasn't much boatbuilding experience with aluminum in those days either so you are correct in that weight was a problem with that particular hull.