Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Alternative/Supplemental Power Sources

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Feb 20, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very interesting reading. 20 amps at 7 kts. is certainly a starting place for experimentation. Some combination of wind solar and hydro technologies may well be viable in the near future. Of course they've got to find ways to multiply the power and reduce the equipment size, but hey my componant stereo system is now an MP3 player so who knows.
    Not only has my curiosity been satisfied, but I've learned something that could be valuable. Thank you.
  2. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

I think you're right about the technically challenged. Reminds me of the millenium bug, by the way.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

teh biggest issue is that you're going to get a lot of drag... while a impeller or prop not connected to anything will spin fairly freely, once you add an alternator/generator on that and put a load, it's going to act has a brake. Even wonder why an alternator belt will squeal under a heavy load, like after crnaking where the battery is pulling a lot of power from the alternator?

so, you're better off conecting an alternator to the engine itself than loosing a few knots to drag...

Regenration works on sailboats but doesn't produce a lot of power. Lagoon has been selling a Diesel Electric 42' cat for a few years now, seems to work but the electrical needs are pretty low... when undersail, the props spin the shaft and the motors become alternator. I don't know the numbers, but i doubt they produce a lot of power.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Pascal- I don't think the loads on a towed sailboat alternator are that great as to rob a few knots.

The ones I have seen trail a rope as a "shaft" so the load can't be that great.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i agree, it works on a sailboat because the loads / needs are low. on a power vessel, especially at higher speed if you're going to produce anything singificant, the drag will be too coslty. I thought that was the scenario NYCAP was looking at.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First, so there is no further mistaking the application I was asking about, it's to suppliment the generator in producing electricity for the boats electrical systems NOT for propelling the boat through the water.
    That said, I was surprised to read that the drag behind proopeller generates 25 amps at only 7 kts. When you consider that most yachts under 46' only consume 30 amps (not counting air conditioning) that's impressive. In all things electrical though I am the student; NOT the teacher.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The 20 AMPS DC you get out of your towed alernator ain't the same as the 30 AMPS AC you get out of your geberator
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Like I said, "student". Didn't catch the DC. Thought they were talking AC. That's why I was surprised. Lots and lots of work to do then. Thanks.
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

First, it doesn't matter what the purpose is, the physics are identical.

That .4 hp (25A at 12V) you produce by dragging some sort of water powered generator drive behind a power boat will require the propulsion engine to produce around .6 or .7 hp additional to make up for the drag of the silly thing and its mounting and drive system if the boat speed remains the same. If you want to convert that into real life, the propulsion engine would have to burn about a gallon of additional fuel every 4 or 5 hours just to run a microwave oven for about 10 minutes.

All the work in the world won't change the equation.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Here in Guernsey we have an Aero engineer who has built his own Cat, about 42 foot, that is wind powered.

No sails involved, it has a rotating mast and 3 turbine blades, that drives a hub. This then drives a hydraulic pump that drives an underwater gearbox in a bulb that then drives a large multiblade prop.

With this set-up he can 'drive' straight into the wind. He still has normal wing engines.

I've seen it work correctly once in 8 years.
  12. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

my small comment ...

for some hundred of years the people try to find a perpetum mobile.

Every change of medium in an energy flow has a lost part.
    There a a lot concepts to power a ship from sail to atomic.

Getting 20amps says nothing, 20A with 12V or at 240V?
    You can get 20A with 12V ( 240W) from your tuged prop.
    You need 30A with 120V in your ship (3600W). This is the difference!

If you have free power (sail), so we can use a wind mill etc.. to get free electric power. But - if you have a powered ship ... using the energy flow over outboard water to catch some energy back ... brings me to smile (see my 1st sentence).

The best is always to REDUCE the lost energy part. Burning oil is not effecive bc we produce to much heat.

thats my cents for you
  13. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Hybrid Trawler/Motorsailer

Sounds like you gentlemen are talking hybrid trawler/motorsailer :rolleyes:

...New Age Trawler/Motorsailer ;)
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No, just trawlers. Always saw motorsailers as the worst of both worlds, inefficient in both.
  15. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Motorsailer response

MotorSailers, MotorSailors..... They're just not a popular subject. Traditional motorsailers have always been such a compromise, they have fallen into disfavor in the market, and in the boating literature. The term has even had negative connotations for several decades now. Should not today's boats be faster and better with new materials, light marine diesels, and better shapes? Should not this be the sensible alternative, the common sense move up from the beloved family sailboat? When trawler options are discussed, suggestions of boredom arise. A lifetime of sail would be discarded, and what happens when the motor quits? Well, hopefully it won't quit, but one can always sail home in a boat with sails on it. For truly long-range cruising and/or remote exploration, the motorsailer can outshine both the sailing aux and the trawler types.

We need to modernize the motorsailer. The multihull plan-form holds great promises to improve this breed. The long slender hulls of the catamaran type vessel have proven themselves to be real efficient to push under both power & sail. And not only are they efficient, but they can be pushed beyond the traditional hull-length/speed limitations. Just what the modern motorsailer needs, a far less compromising increase in both their sail & power performance, that allows for long-range, and remote area capabilities. In light airs, running one engine often is all that is needed to generate an apparent wind that allows the sails work harder, and the combination can provide much better results than either motoring or sailing alone, …
    ….sailing synergy/harmony, the motor taking over in the lulls and the rig taking over in the puffs.

...more discussions here:
    Motor and Sailing Vessels, Motorsailers
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

But then you're stuck buying,storing and maintaining sails. Coastwise most sailboats spend most of their time on motors to the point where I consider an honest sailor one with a stepped mast. Offshore, few sailors would favor the limitations of a motorsailer. I really dpn't see motorsailers catching on except possibly in the large size..
  17. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Everybody here with practical experience in motorsailors, raise your hands....

Aha. I thought so. Looky here:

The client was comparing trawlers to...motorsailors, generally, and in particular, Nordys to Cheoy Lees. The CL 63 won hands down (sorry) in the interior volume department--master stateroom size, headroom in the engine room, and on and on--compared to a N62.

With one of the two 3208 NA 210 HP Cats shut down (freewheeling LUK props), the boat cruised at 7 kts on a dribble of fuel.

Sail management? Oh, heavens, the husband/wife team wore their pinkies to the bone pushing the buttons for the roller furling jib & the in-mast furling main, and the mizzen was, more or less, just along for the ride.

Why sails + motoring? The sails replace the active stabilizers in keeping things steady and Maw happy...with a lot less attendant cost/maintenance and, ahem, power required to run them.
    Hubby & wife were relative novices at the game, but managed to figure it out.

Oh, and no need for a get-home, either.

Wind generator at anchor provided an extra bit of juice. Underway, these folks would run one of the two gensets for 45 minutes in the morning to make freshwater and cook breakfast, then an additional 45 min. late in the day for dinner and to run the A/C. Good hull insulation kept the innards cool all night long with the help of some 12VDC Hella fans. Invertors + plenty of batteries for other needs.

You get the idea.

Yes, they are a strange breed of boat. 45 degrees upwind is about the best they can do, but that ain't a lot more than what most non-racing sailboats can do.

OBTW, that CL mentioned was a twentyfive-year old design--canoe stern, freeboard up to there--very dry on deck in bad weather and a boat that many have gone around the world in with aplomb. CL built a 53, 63, and a 78 which, from a mile off, couldn't be told apart.

The mind boggles at the potential of a truly modern esign... freestanding carbon masts, modern sailplan, etc.

Maybe there will come along some non-XBox yachtsmen/wimmen to see the light.

My $.02
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

These guys are trying, with the same designer as Fjord and Wally, first out is a 45´and a 62´in the pipeline. At least they are modern looking: http://www.moodyboats.com/index.php?id=874&no_cache=1&L=6

My own motorsailer is from 1974 and still able to take me anywhere, not in a rush, but safe and dry...:)

Attached Files:

19. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Being able to save energy is better than the need for generating more ? Less weight, more efficient hull / propulsion forms, less wind drag from superstructures (getting rid of those bloody active fins / gyro-stabilisers) etc etc.
    However, I can think of a couple of by-products of a hard driven motor yacht that could create energy without increasing drag or increasing fuel consumption.....
    Main engine exhaust outlet....get a 'turbine generator' in there.
    Negative and positive G....fit fluid filled dampners under heavy objects (chain locker floor, engines, fuel tanks, battery banks, owners mattress, skippers helm seat etc) connect to a reservoir / one way valve one end and 'hydraulic generator' the other....negative G at the crest pulls the fluid in, positive G in the trough pushes the fluid out under pressure.
    Engine room air intakes....surely the air rushing in through the vents can drive an 'air driven generator' ? The spinning blades would also make a cool coalescer water separator too.
    'Methane fueled generator'...connected to the waste tank.
    Its ok, I'll stop now :)
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Like this ... ?

http://library.abb.com/global/scot/scot271.nsf/veritydisplay/a30a1afe92088c06c12573d9002fa018/$File/58-61%204M804_ENG72dpi.pdf