Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

AHOY, Hatteras Savants

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by YES!, Aug 5, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YES!

YES! Senior Member

A client of mine has requested assistance in the selection of a "smaller" 65- 80 foot gunk-holing motor yacht for use in the DelMarVa, NY, RI and MA cruising areas to operate separately from his internationally cruising 50 meter MY and shadow boat. He has significant business interests and entertaining in the NE.

I have pointed him towards YF searches and he has come back to me with Hatteras being his preference based on size, volume and reputation. I am squared away with respect to verifying and surveying the condition of the mechanical, electrical and electronics systems but not so much with plastic hulls as my personally preferred construction material is steel - - - old Navy training......

So Hatteras experts, what do I need to know about these vessels to properly advise my client?
    1. Issues regarding hull blisters, delam, moisture absorption?
    2. Extension effects on vessel handling as it is assumed that running gear is not relocated when they add cockpits/aft decks?
    3. Other considerations or recommendations for this class of vessel?

Finally, the client wants (and who doesn't) a bargain. Looks like best value for dollar is in the 1985 - 1990 vintage vessels. Some of the upgrades and refits on these aged boats appear to actually be better volume and amenity options than the new builds at significant savings. Comments, please, as to older construction with prices around $1M compared to newer builds at 4 times the price? Comfort, construction, sea worthiness and presentation are all important considerations. Are there other manufacturers that compare?

Your experiences and expertise is very much appreciated. Any insights and recommendations are sincerely welcome as the client insists on my marine expertise but these specifics escape my personal knowledge. FYI, I have alerted him to my post herein is there is no question that I am seeking advise.

Any "pocket listings" or inside info on specific vessels to be rewarded as brokers are protected.

Thank you all in advance.
  2. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Dear Stan,

Try the guys at Sam's Marine, they are all ex-Hatteras factory or dealer employee's. I have known Ed Tysenn for many years, starting when he worked at Allied Marine in the parts and service dept. This group has an amazing knowledge base on older Hatteras', as well as a huge inventory of new and used parts.
    In my experience the biggest problem with the older boats was the blistering of the bottoms, but with today's technology that can be remedied quite easily.
    As for the extensions, Ed was at Allied when they were the first to start doing this and should have an in depth knowledge of the characteristics.
    Another good outfit to talk with is Slane Marine, they are the premier restorer of old Hatteras', and will be able to give you a better understanding of the construction and issues with older boats.
    Hope this helps, if you need any help in the Delmarva let me know, we are in Annapolis till the end of Sept.

Regards
    Randy
  3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Hi Stan:

Having listed and sold more than my fair share of Hat MYs, here goes:

Yes, blisters are an issue. Most boats of the vintage you mention will already have gotten the Interlux Interprotect treatment...but not all.

Attention will have to be paid to soft spots in the balsa coring found primarily on the boatdeck and where holes were drilled and improperly sealed.

All these will have Detroit diesels, many with SMOH hours. Over 2000 may mean dollars will need to be dedicated to the motors.

At least one boat out there--a 74, extended from a 65(?) really should have had some rocker added...that boat ran around on her nose & was really wet.

More rare, but out there still--look for broken tabbing in fwd bulkheads/frames resulting from being pushed hard in big seas.

Those, I believe, are the highlights.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I might add be sure it has stabilizers, that they are working properly and hopefully have been upgraded with newer electronic controls. Because Hatterases of that vintage tend to be rolly. Especially when you add weight to the flybridge area.
  5. YES!

YES! Senior Member

YF Always Has The Answers

Randy - great sources. The referrals are much appreciated.

Loren & Bill - the insights are most helpful and are well noted.

Seems like one can do a lot of painting and maintenance with the cost difference between a 1989/90 vs a 2003/4 without a lot more capability or reliability at the end of the day.

Thanks again.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the big difference between the 89/91 and the 02/04 boats is power. the earlier boats have smaller detroits that are working harder to push those heavier boats whereas the newer ones have Cats 3412 with a lot more power...

is it worth the extra 400 to 700k? depends on the indiviudal boat and how it was upgraded.

as far as construction, can't go wrong with any Hatt as long as no holes where drilled into the decks and the core didnt' get wet. unlikely on the recent boats but more chances of this in a 20 year old boat... not a huge deal but can be costly to repair properly.

As others mentioned, factory support and support from Sam's is unmatched.
  7. YES!

YES! Senior Member

So, Pascal, if we have a dry core which is easily confirmed during survey and the engines have acceptable hours SMOH, it comes down to decor, cosmetics and style (older more traditional and newer more sleek)?

Are the newer hulls of same solid, old Hatteras construction?

Running from Chelsea Piers to Sag Harbor with your business associates having cocktails on a 1985 to 90 72 footer at 12 knots would be essentially the same experience as on a new build. My client has commented and I agree that the older 72's seem to have more volume and better space allocation than the newer models.

Are we missing something?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

1. A lot of Hatteras' will have blisters under the waterline. Are they a big deal IMO, usually not. When they get to a certain size you just grind them and fill them and you might do 6 this year (the size of a silver dollar) and another 6 in a few years.

2. The extensions really add to the usefulness of the Hatteras as most had a 2' long aft deck and 8 feet to the waterline so handling lines, exterior hanging out space, and such was very limited. The extensions effect the handling 10% negatively I would say when it comes to a stern sea. It makes them swing left and right a bit. The extensions also add a lot more fresh water capacity and fuel. One 75' Hatteras I run, the extension really was well thought out and really makes the boat. It added a nice long flybridge, a built in propane grill, sink and refrig on the flybridge, a beautiful aft deck, more freezer space, and a nice cockpit.

3. I prefer to run this boat at hull speed and with the extension and 12v71's TI's it burns 15 GPH with generators (or less) and does 9.5-10knots. At cruise it burns 90gph at 17 knots. So it's not worth it to push it. The 3412 boats cruise 20 knots and burn a lot more fuel and are still pushing a lot of weight around. The 12v71s usually go 5,000 hrs sometimes 6500hrs in these boats if maintained properly from what I've seen.

The only one I saw soft spots in the deck was on a 58' YF and if they get them a normal source is the deck above the engine room vent area. Also a 70' I ran had a spot by the companion seat on the flybridge and outside of the stbd wing door......was slightly delaminated.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

yes, the later boats are pretty much as well built as the older ones even though at some point Hatteras moved to cored hull side but has always stuck to solid glass below waterline. (except for a handful of sportfish in the mid 80s which were supposedly bought back and disposed of...)

teh fact that many of these boats were extended is a proof of how well those hulls are built... try "gluing" an extention on a sea ray or carver! :)

many late 80s Hatteras and that washed out wood inside which is not that appealing in my opinion so it really comes down to personal preference. it was modern looking back then but doesn't have the warmth of the darker veneers and nowadays reminds me of cheap office depot furniture :)

another source for info and good maintenance on these boats is Jarrett in NC. they do a lot of work on these boats, host an annual owners workshop. the guy to talk to there is Roger who is also pretty helpful on the Hatteras forum on Sam's site.

one big negative thing on these boats is that over the years Hatteras kept shrinking the size of the aft deck to a balcony. Even on the last of the "real" Hatts (2003/2004 or so) the aft deck is ridiculously small with jsut room for a small table and 4 chairs... i guess it's fine up north i the fall but for many folks the aft deck is where they spend a lot of time and they won't even look at these boats because of that.
  10. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

11. CapLady

CapLady Senior Member

Hi Stan,

I was captain on a year 2001 75' Hatteras for 3 years. It is the one with the walk around side decks which I find very nice. We cruised the Med 2 summer seasons and took the yacht back and forth on the Dockwise yacht transport and cruised the Bahamas in the winter.
    It's a wonderful boat, solid as a rock and never had blister problems. This boat has 3412 Cats that ran perfect for me. She draws a bit over 6 an a half feet of water so you have to do some of your "gunkholing" with a bit of care.
    She was a wonderful boat for me and I belive she is for sale in the Chesapeke area now.
    If you find her and would like to discuss it with me feel free to send me a message.

Barbara
  12. YES!

YES! Senior Member

The client is not at all hung up on a Hatteras, Bill. Research just revealed that it might be the most bang for the buck. The Viking looks very interesting and I have forwarded it.

All alternatives and comparable suggestions are welcome.

Looking for your Hatt command, Barb. Will let you know what we learn.

Thanks again.
  13. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

I tend to agree that Hatteras has the most bang for the buck in this area of the market. The Hatteras name also sells itself when the time comes. All the issues noted above are excellent info and well documented. I have owned three myself over the years (hence my screen name) and I was going to get a fourth but I fell in love with a custom boat @ FLIBS last year and the rest is history.

The next Hatteras that I was after is one that was significantly updated from the earlier boats, and that was a 1996 or newer 74'. This is the first year of the new, tapered hull that significantly increased speed and seaworthiness over the older 18'2" beam hulls. While the beam stayed the same, the speed, ride, seaworthiness and wetness were all greatly improved. The later version of this boat is the 75' that is mentioned above. Most of these boats were powered with the highly regarded Cat 3412's which allowed for a 28kt top speed, although these boats are amazingly competent and fuel efficient at 11kts.

Also as noted above, overall the aft decks did become smaller as the boats got newer. Another point to note is that most of the 74's and 75's were not built with the $39k option for walk-around side decks. I believe that Hatteras built about 40 of the 75's from 2001-2004/2005 and I was told that only two have the side deck option. While this is not an issue for some, many owner operators prefer side decks for ease of line handling, safety, etc.

Before I spent ~$600-700k on an older two-stroke boat with the old bottom design, I would seriously consider the new bottom of the 1996+ Cat powered boats that are selling just under $1M since the market fell. The Detroit and MTU boats are selling well under $1M. Some of the 1996-1998 boats still had Detroits (base engine pkg) but others had 4-stroke MTU's or the preferred Cat 3412E's. Most built in 1999 and later will have the Cats. The 75 of 2001+ is the refined version of the 74 with a larger flybridge, etc. I have only heard about one issue in the 75 with the A/C in the Master stateroom because the units were oversized for the space and could cause moisture/mold problems.

You can't go wrong with a Hatteras and as is most often the case, the newer the better. Obviously, this is a buyers market and if any boat is poised to go UP in value as the economy strengthens or at least hold the current value for a significant time, I would have to say that the 1996+ Hatteras 74 and 2001+ 75 would be that boat.

GOOD LUCK!