Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Perko

Ahh...looks like I need some plating...what guage/type?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by chriswufgator, Oct 5, 2007.

1. chriswufgator

chriswufgator Member

So, she's up on the hard getting a bunch of deferred maintenance performed....many thanks to the previous owners, who were kind enough to cover up all sorts of interesting surprises with new paint and conveniently-placed curtains and extra interior trim pieces. Really appreciate that! Still not anywhere as bad as maintaining my constellation though, so I think this was still a good move comparatively.

One of the things I noticed on the exterior, however, is that the edges of my port chine were kind of 'rough' or 'lumpy' looking. After removing the new bottom paint, it's good-ole'-fashioned rust.

In a couple spots, the corrosion expanded and popped the weld, where in other spots it was just bubbling the paint up which is what I saw. So it looks like about a 5ft X 10" section of my port chine, and a similar but smaller area of my starboard chine, as well as some areas along the keel edge, are going to need plating.

Having talked with the marina, they need to know what type and guage the boat's steel is, so they know what to replace it with. I need to know this, like, yesterday.

I came across is somewhere, but can't seem to find it again. Alloyed2sea, or anyone who knows, please let me know!

Thanks guys.
  2. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

The original pamphlet on my 1961 35’ says the sides are made with 11 gage steel plating and the aft bottom 10 gage plating, with 3/16” plating on the forward bottom.
  3. chriswufgator

chriswufgator Member

Any idea what the going rates are for this type of work?
  4. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

5. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

hi
    have change 20m2 of the bottom 4mm plates good swedish steel