Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Burger

Ady Gil (Earthrace) Sunk By Japanese Whalers

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Time, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Doesn't this make the SS claim that it started and accelerated towards them a complete crock or what?

Given that it's maximum speed here is 12 Kts. As posted previously.

http://www.researchvessels.org/count...an_maru_2.html
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

or anywhere else
  4. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

You are right! I forgot about that. They said the Japanese ship "started its engines and accelerated towards them... Dismissed it as silly but their own video completely shows that is not even close to what happened.

Oh but I forgot lying and other unethical behavior is ok if it is to save the whales.......

I keep forgetting that.
  5. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

They say there is no such thing as "Bad publicity".
    I'm thinking Earthrace has paid for itself a dozen times over.:cool:
  6. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Like I said, they went out and sacrificed a vessel that had outlived its purpose. It did the trip it was designed and built for, it has no real other usefulness as a boat except a very spartan long range boat. The thing has probably generated 1,000,000+ times the publicity from this event than it ever did as Earthrace. How many people actually ever heard of Earthrace anyway? I never heard anything outside of the marine press and an offer to "volunteer" on her crew after the accident.
  7. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

It got a lot of press here in Vancouver.
    Here's a photo of it when undergoing its circumnavigation back in Aug 2006

Famous boats make for BIG headlines.

Attached Files:

8. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Did it make headlines in Edmonton or Calgary? How often was it mentioned on CNN, FOX, CNBC....?
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here it made some headlines during the European Tour, but as Ady Gil we have only seen the video from the Whaler "colliding with some activists"...

When Earthrace was here these pictures were taken where our new/old ship Götheborg is in the background.

http://www.halmstadflygfoto.se/Earthrace.htm
  10. q240z

q240z New Member

I have to laugh at Westerners who hack on the Japanese for their whaling. How ironic that western overharvesting crashed populations and drove species to extinction around the globe before modern "civilized" sensibilities kicked in. Where was SS when Americans and Europeans were profiting from overharvesting whales?

Hypocritical b4stards.
  11. N6ERH

N6ERH New Member

I'm not sure that recognizing that you have caused a problem and taking steps to correct that problem qualifies as hypocrisy. Nice try though.
  12. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Hear hear!

[And welcome to Yacht Forums N6ERH]
  13. q240z

q240z New Member

Puh-lease.

In every language I speak, the historical and current behavior of westerners in this matter perfectly exemplifies hypocrisy. The law, to the extent that any exists at all on the high seas, doesn't stand on their side, so they resort to piracy. Good on the Japanese for taking down the idiot, grandstanding, whale-hugging pirates.

If they really wanted to do some good for the environment, they'd take to ramming patrons of America's contribution to global cuisine--fast food drive-thrus. lol
  14. jspiezio

jspiezio Member

Following that logic westerners are hypocrites for discouraging slavery in northern Africa since we all had slave at one time. It is prima facia fallacious.
  15. Alaskanmutt

Alaskanmutt Member

I noticed

Not one comment on the whales that the Alaska Natives take every year.
    The wife was in Barrow a few months ago when they pulled one ashore to butcher it.

Just curious. Not trrying to cause a row.
  16. Sportfisher

Sportfisher New Member

I would venture to say that the Inuit's hunting for survival is alot different than nations harvesting to feed a country. The Inuit's have far lesser choices in their diets, growing seasons, availability of alternative foods, etc.
    Other than relying on the government to house & feed them, we can't make laws that takes away their heritage or renders their culture extinct.
    Not meaning to be hipocritical here, but there is no comparison.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There was passing menton made of Alaska and other places where "traditional" hunting takes place previously in this thread.

While I personally have no problems with this true traditional hunting it is made a mockery of if the Whales are chased in motorised boats and shot at with large calibre weapons.

I seem to recall being in Seattle in 1999 and seeing on the TV there was some Native American Whaling action out on the coast south of the Juan de Fuca Strait I think it was.

They were in a motor boat and the weapon of choice was 50 Caliber.- Hardly what their Ancestors would have had at their disposal when hunting them themselves.
  18. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I did...
  19. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Why would the technology of the hunt not progress with the tradition? When is tradition? What date is it frozen in? Whaling was done from powerful steam ships with cannon style Harpoon Guns 120 years ago. That is also tradition. The development of technology has always been part of the tradition of "the hunt" and other competitions, so I don't think it makes a good benchmark of "tradition" in all contexts. Part of why we win the hunt is because of our ability to think and create in our own interest.
  20. Alaskanmutt

Alaskanmutt Member

Sorry Henning

Missed that one.

I am not against the Inuit traditional hunting
    Usually when you have extremist they tend to group all like activities together. Not say in any case there extremist here except the extremist in boating.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.