Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Advice on paid crew positions

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by echaney, Aug 1, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. echaney

echaney Guest

Hello. I recently graduated college. I am seeking others' advice on the best way to find a paid position working on a private yacht as a deckhand or steward. From reading through old posts it sounds like using a placement agency doesn't work very well. Is searching Web sites like these effective? Is there another method that works better?

Also, I have small craft sailing experience, but on my family's own boats. What's life like crewing for a private owner? I realize each owner is different, but I suspect there are commonalities among them as well.
  2. R99

R99 New Member

You really want a job on a yacht?

Go to the marina where they are.
    Walk the dock every morning at about 8:00 and ask every skipper, for work (day work or otherwise).

Once thats done (assuming you didn't get a job) call at all the crew agents and ask them. (obviously register and introduce yourself first).

Most deckhand/steward level jobs will go to the closest qualified person ( and that means personality, physical appearance, and papers).
    So be everywhere. Demonstrating how motivated and keen you are will do wonders for your network.

Always have a one or two page CV with you. Have a picture of yourself on the CV.

Don't write off crew agents - the wider you spread your net the more fish you may catch

Good Luck.
    Rob