Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Advice on buying an older Ocean

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by SMR-PILOT, May 31, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

yeah, that sounds better than paying almost 3k just to have all 24 injectors checked out which is what they wanted to charge me. I'll run it for a while after they finish the paint job and I'll see what happens. This boat wasn't run very much so it could also be that. Thanks for the advice.
  2. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

Turns out the injectors were OK. just needed clean fuel and the engines to be run for a while. she now cruises at 22 knots and the engines sound nice. blue color does not look so bad. Only issue is fuel leaks on one of the stbd tanks...

Attached Files:

Rerm likes this.
  3. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

That looks great! Did you paint house and decks also? Awlgrip?
    Rerm likes this.
  4. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Looks nice.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The boat looks great.

I would get on that fuel leak very quick, because if it's the tank, you may end up with 400 gallons in the bilge overnight one day.
  6. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

that´s exactly what happened. We lost over 400 gallons of fuel to the bilge. Obviously could not pump it out to sea. made a huge mess. pumped it out to a truck.

for the moment I´m using the port side tanks until I figure out what to do about the leak (which I haven´t completely identified). taking out the tank is a huge job. Any suggestions?
  7. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

Thank you. And yes, awlgrip, and I did have the decks and lower section of the house painted, had to, it was all stained.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Change the tanks and both of them. Ocean and other builders who put saddle tanks on the side like that suffer from corrossion from the salt coming in the E.R. vents and they're at that age where they need changing. It just is what it is.
  9. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

What material was used to build the tanks?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Aluminum, usually always the starboard tank goes first on the Oceans, followed by the port a year later. I think the way air flows into the E.R. has to do with that.
  11. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

I`m guessing I`ll have to take the engines out and everything. Big Job...ughh
  12. BJG

BJG New Member

I just had to replace my center tank in my 63'. Not a fun job. While in the boat yard we discussed how to do the saddles... they suggested just cut the side of the boat open, remove the tank, replace with new one, and close it up.

They seemed to think that was a way simpler way to replace them than to remove your engines, hatches, etc to get them out.

you may want to inquire about that... we did not go much further in detail.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 15kw generator is not going to be big enough for that boat especially with an enclosed bridge and air conditioning up there. Without a closed bridge that boat or the 63' needs a 20kw, if you're running all of the a/cs etc (no a/c on bridge at all). I would guestimate that you really need a 25kw. On the 63' I managed for many years. We had a 20kw on stbd side and put a 8kw on the port side for light electrical loads when we didn't need to run the 20.....the owner chose it and a 12kw probably would've been a better fit where you could run most of the a/c's and not much else.
  14. BJG

BJG New Member

I would agree. On our 63' I have a 12kw and 20kw. We tend to load up the 20kw often. I don't have enclosed bridge, but I would think that additional AC unit or two would definitely be too much for the 20kw. When we are running all the various systems like AC (4), water maker or ice chipper, stove, etc... often something like a coffee maker, toaster or hairdryer will trip the breaker.
  15. docjr03

docjr03 New Member

I'd like to hear more about the fuel tank issue and how they ended up getting replaced if this thread hasn't gotten too old. I am looking at Oceans from the mid-80's and Capt J's comment about them (fuel tanks) being "at that age where they need changing" has piqued my interest.
  16. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

Actually, Capt J was exactly right, my starboard tanks have started to leak all over. I`m still using the port tanks, which is OK for now because I don`t fish and only do light cruising. I`ve been analyzing the issue for he past months and so far the plan that makes the most sense is cutting up the tank into pieces for removal, then fabricating a tank of 3 small sections connected together. That way you can fit it in section by section without having to do major modifications to the boat, or having to take out th engines completely. We might just have to lift the engines from their base and move them inboard to make room for the tanks. I think it`s something I might do in a year or so.
  17. NEO56

NEO56 Member

SMR-PILOT, I really would like for you to keep us up to date on your boat...while I agree with the dark blue color choice, you're going to need another gen set of equal size. I've always wanted a dark blue hull, but have been told by many people smarter than me, that it's going to tax your A/C system, and could make the hull sweat, especially in tropical waters like Colombia. I'm not a big Ocean fan...never have been, never will be. I do however wish you the very best of luck with her. But then again my opinion doesn't mean anything. (Sorry guy's I tried to keep my mouth shut, It's mixed emotions, kind of like watching your Mother in Law drive over a cliff in your new Bentley.)
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I manage a yacht with a dark blue hull and the hull is a lot taller than a typical SF. It does not sweat whatsoever and have never even heard of that term used for a hull. The hull is mostly shaded and about half is actual living space, so I doubt it does much in the way of a/c issues.....the deck, superstructure and windows are where the majority of energy (heat/cold) loss occurs on any yacht.

Honestly, you're going to need another 25KW generator......and if you have room for it, I'd have 2-25kws.....so you can rotate them every 36 hours......and never be inconvenienced if one goes down....and one will sooner or later......Plus spare parts are interchangeable.
  19. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Capt J, I'm usually on the same page as you are, but if the exterior of the hull is 110 degrees, and the interior is 75 degrees, condensation is going to form some where...and it ain't gonna be on the outside of the hull. What's your guess?
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A hull is very insulating and thick......I have never seen a hull be anything but dry on the inside. The air conditioning ductwork in your attic don't drip on the inside of your ceiling in your house do they? Even more of a temperature differential.