Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

ACCO chain rusting

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Aug 11, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We don’t anchor in crowded harbors. We hate crowds. :) and so do our guests... the few times we anchor in what we call crowded, it’s a dozen boats the nearest 300’ away. No risk of electrolysis. And our zincs wear is normal.

I ll see what WM replies. It s not a huge deal. Will keep it this way for another year or two then swap ends The original chain on the boat lasted 8 years although I doubt the previous owners anchored much.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Local store manager says they will replace it this time but in the future the warranty is one year as they now stick to ACCO warranty.

Going to decide in the next couple of days what to do. It s a bear of a job to get 200’ of chain on and off the boat , then to the store and back. Just for pretty much one year or so.

I found some stainless steel 3/8 BBB. $1849 for 200’ versus $1049 for the ACCO. Expensive but could be worth it. Trying to find out where it s made as I m weary of chinese stuff especially SS. Working load higher than ACCO according to specs. Sold by a company named Marine Now. Anybody familiar with them?
  3. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I'm planning to replace mine with 316 stainless this year. Marine Now was one of the vendors I looked at but I'm still waiting on one more quote.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Lmk what you find.

mid we were going to the yard I d replace it under warranty... easy to feed the chain in and out of the truck.... but here at the dock it s a work out. We re side to in a tee head so bow in isn’t an option.
  5. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I'll let you know what I find out . We're in the heavy rigging business and buy lots of chain every year. Our main supplier is working something up for me.
  6. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

I heard of Maggi Chain, doing Italian made stainless chain. Supposedly certified.
  7. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Recently faced this issue and dropped the chain onto a borrowed work float, then walked that the the bulkhead closest to parking, offloaded- reloaded, wash rinse repeat.
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I used Rope Inc down in Lauderdale. Their price for 1/2 HT G43 ISO was about 10% less than Maggi, plus they did my set up.

Jack Hutchinson

P: (954)525-6575

jack@ropeinc.com
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah last time we ran the end to the dock and pulled it on the dock while paying it out with the windlass. I m too old for this :)
  10. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of work. Maybe a heavy-duty lift bag on a small boat or barge, then forklift into a truck and install in reverse.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

200' of chain is a lot of weight. 5' or 10' of chain isn't. One person on the bow and one on the dock and that chain will be in a dock cart in no time with no fuss.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yep. Did it once.... 20’ beam so half is 10’ plus the width of a the piling and and extra foot on the dock that’s 12’ of 3/8 suspended in the air. Maybe you forgot how heavy chain is since you retired.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

1.41 lbs. per foot x 12' = 16.92 lbs. Split by 2 people. REALLY??? Us NY'ers have a different idea what's hard and what's not.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I dare say even retired and 70 I could still handle 5 times that.
  15. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

Pussies! LOL

The smaller boat we sold had 400' 0f 5/8" stud link chain on each side.

Oh, and 350' of 100 amp, 3 phase, 5 conductor shore pwr cable

The new boat has 450' of 3/4" chain on each side, similar pwr cable.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Oh good. I thought maybe the Florida sun made people weak.:cool: And I agree. I've become a whimp since I retired. Lazy. It happen when you get old. What's your excuse Pascal?:D (All in jest)
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No excuse. Have you done it when tied alongside and in 90 degree heat. I have. Never again
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thought you said "no excuse". ;) Used to run a 60' Sunseeker whose windless continually popped the breaker. A few times I had to haul the whole thing up by hand including anchor cause it was faster than messing with the breaker. Face it Pascal you're getting weak or lazy in your old age. It's that Miami marina life. Too many parties. :rolleyes:
    P.S. You could do it in the evening.
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What kind of a Captain runs a boat with a bad windlass ....
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thinking back to my youth (when I was 50) I remember hauling the chain from the 70' crew boat I ran up on deck with another guy. paying it out, painting it and putting it back. Don't remember the length or diameter but you can guess what that boat would use. And I seem to remember that was in a somewhere near a 90* NY summer day. Time to get back to the gym.:D (That's the last one. I promise.:rolleyes:)