Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

AC Units question again

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by CSkipR, Sep 1, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Got the infrared heat gun to measure the tops of both 16k A/C units. The top of one unit was 169 degrees and the other 96 degrees. Both units are putting out cool air. As you can see by the number the top of one unit is cool and the other hot. Both run off one seawater pump.
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Dunno. Make sure the hotter unit is getting its share of the water? Seperate overboard outlets?
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hi

Can you run the top unit only and direct thefull flow of cooling water to it only?
    Then see if your temp drops ?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

how hot are the condensing coils? Your exit water dumps into a common manifold so the only dry to make sure your getting is to measure the water temp as it exits the condensing coil.
    I bet the cold compressor or tray is wet.

Also, The hot unit, is it in the bow? long way from the pump?
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Both units are beside each other in the eng room. The hotter unit is cooling the salon which is closer.
    Today I shot the return air and the cool air on the salon unit. Approx 19 degree difference.
    On the front unit I checked the return air and the cool air difference and it was only 6 degree difference. 66 deg cool air to 72 degree return air.
    Does this sound like a low freon issue?
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

You may have different cooling conditions in the 2 spaces. My salon is much more difficult to cool than any of my staterooms. Did you take your readings during the day or night?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Skip
    It comes down to a few things. If your conformable, good, If your worried that you may be low on freon, Then you have to get a tech with gages (& freon if needed).
    The tech can also read high head pressure and determine if enough water is flowing thru the condenser.
  8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Good deal will have the tech come by.
    The salon is the coolest and front ac is not as cool. The front ac only had a difference of 6 degrees between ac vent and and air return. Checked temp around 6 pm last night.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Skip
    Rcrapps advice makes good sense, other wise we are all just guessing. Let us know what he found
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, hire a professional. There are certain things that owners can tackle even when they aren't knowledgable and not screw things up too badly if they do not do them successfully. Air Conditioning is not one of those things. The best attribute an owner or captain can have, is knowing when it's best to hire a professional who is experienced to tackle a problem, rather than diving into the unknown without knowledge.
  11. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Ac

Okay problems resolved. The salon unit was hot because it was slightly low on freon. Had small leak at nut. Both thermostats also needed to be adjusted to the correct temp. One was off by 6 degrees and the other by 11 degrees. Changed telephone conn on one unit at compressor because of slight corrosion. Both are okay now.
    Water output fine.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yep, AC is not something I mess with, I call the tech for anything beyond water pump and flow issues. When a compressor gets too hot, the internal thermal safety can trip shutting it down for a while.
  13. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Yep thats what the tech said. He also said if it trips set a bag of ice on top of compressor.
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Skip

What did he say about your differing air temp and compressor temp readings?
  15. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

He attributed that to the themostat being off 11 degrees. The end of the telephone conn on the compressor was slightly corroded and causing the thermostat to read incorrectly. Changed the plug and reset thermostat to correct temp difference. He said the compressor will normally operate around 150 degrees but being low on freon caused it too run somewhat hotter. He also said the thermostat will automatically cutoff the compressor at 210 degrees.
  16. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

This is retarded. If the compressor needs a bag of ice on top of it to run something is wrong.
  17. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

No he said if it trips put a bag of ice on top.
  18. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Why do you think it tripped. Maybe because it is not operating normally?
  19. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

If you read the post again I never stated that it tripped.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, and then run it until the compressor blows and sends oil all over the engine room.....