Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Westport

AC Power Alternators

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Hillel, Nov 7, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hillel

Hillel New Member

Hi
    I am looking in to the possibility of installing extra alternators on the two 850 HP main engines of a 60 ft motor yacht, for powering the air conditioning while sailing, and having a back up for the one Genset onboard. These alternators' will have to produce some 5-7 KWH. Dose any one have experience with such a system?
    Can any one recommend a maker of such a system?
    Many thanks :)
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Do you want to run these things off the shafts or the Main Engines themselves?

Either way it isn't going to be easy unless you run at a constant speed all the time.

If all you want to do is pump the Freon around then the easiest way might well be to add mechanical compressors to the engines instead of adding AC Alternators, you would also need to have some way to run the fans, pumps ( SW and Chilled Water if used).
  3. Hillel

Hillel New Member

AC Power Altenator

Hi
    Thanks for the response,
    The idea is to answer the following issues:
    - Back up AC power, there is no space for a second Genset.
    - Saving wear & tear of the generator while cruising.
    - Running Air Conditioning in the above situations.
    I found on the web the SeaPower system

http://www.meps.com/Images/Installation_PDF/SeaPower_Brochure2007.pdf

I wonder whether you have heard about it or any other similar system.
    They claim the system can work at different speeds.
    As for connecting the alternator I prefer connecting it to the engine (By an extra Pulley) since if I connect it to the prop shaft it will only work while the gear is engaged.
    Regarding driving the Freon directly from the main engine, it will be more complicated since there are 5 Air Conditioning units in different compartments.
    I will be grateful for any further advice.
    Cheers
    Hillel
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I haven't heard or read anything about the unit in your link.

It looks like a good solution to your request if it actually does what it says on the tin.

If you go for it you might also want to consider an electro magnetic clutch on the front of the Alternator so it doesn't rotate all the time.

All Alternators used to charge batteries are actually producing AC Power that is rectified to the required DC Voltage so these guys are just tapping this before that stage.

If you go ahead and get one of these please post back and let others know how it worked or didn't work.

Thanks.

P.S. Welcome to Yacht Forums.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I suggest you contact the following individual, he is fully conversant with all types of electrical generating plants, including AC alternators., mention that Dennis in Vancouver passed on his name to you.

2elnav (at) netbistro (dot) com
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dennis,

Don't ever post someone's e-mail address on YF. This website has been optimized to attract bots. Some are good. Some are bad. The latter harvest email addresses for marketers, resulting in an inbox full of spam. Use prudence on the net. And common sense.
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

That's interesting, I got this guys email from a public site that he posts on regularly, The Trawlers and Trawlering list. Will keep that in mind..
  8. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I had a couple of those on an old sailboat I used to run, one on the main engine and one on our "multipurpose" engine (it drove a lay shaft which would drive that, a hydraulic pump, a dewatering pump or our dive compressor). they worked quite well.
  9. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Adding a few 12VDC Hella fans here and there will reduce your A/C requirements.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

As will opening a few windows whilst underway which is when the main engines would be used to give the AC some juice with this system fitted.