Click for MotorCheck Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Walker

About that new Horizon FD yacht...

Discussion in 'Horizon Yacht' started by Pascal, Jan 6, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

and I used to think nothing could be worst than a carver mariner!

My god this thing is ugly !
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Looks like a very practical boat, good layout and utility. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I can't imagine line handling on this thing. Up and down eberywhere, high bow ....

Yeah beauty eye beholder etc ... but this is a clash of wild crazy lines and shapes diverging and Merging and converging randomly as if drawn by some heroin addict . I m getting a headache looking at it on the Horizon website

I d love to see the fuel burn vs speed. I bet she burns the same as a planning hull at hull speed and a lot more than planning hull at its pathetic 16kts cruise
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Keeping in mind Pascal owns a classic Jag XKE (therefore has an eye for beautiful lines), I'm in the tighten the tourniquet category. Most of us tend to agree when we see a rogue, but it's interesting how some designs present a divergence in opinion. Personally I like the FD85, but I tend to favor utility over aesthetics. In contrast, I'm not a fan of the FD102 design, seen below. The bow reminds me of a 50's era bull-nose Chris Craft and the Eppler airfoil-like windows aren't providing much lift to the design either...

[​IMG]
  5. henry-fin

henry-fin New Member

either this bow configuration has some substantial benefits or it is the nautical equivalent of the Rambler Gremlin. The enormous expanse of glass is OK for the northern climes but in the Caribbean you either have serious curtains with over capacity a/c.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I like the FD102 better. More balanced, lines flow better, even the glass windows in the hull side blend in better
  7. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

The Horizon is certainly not a San Juan 48 in terms of looks, but it is a thing of beauty compared to the new sort-of-sailboat megayacht "A" that is due to be delivered fairly soon. What a fugly, fat whale of a vessel. There is another new megayacht -- Project Jupiter -- I've seen that has a fairly odd, random melange of hull scallops and arched windows that makes you wonder how folks with the brains to amass the hundreds of $millions needed to build a custom yacht can have so little sense of proportion and grace.