Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for JetForums Click for Westport

A new level of manufacturer stupidity

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Sep 26, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hey it s like self driving cars... the AI can only be 100% better than the average driver... maybe automation, self docking, self routing, etc will spare us problems
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is all just business. The technology is better today why some want to make sense of using it, but there have been self driving cars and boats since decades in reality...

Boats.jpg
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Not a bad idea, IF and we all know it won't be, it is a quick, efficient, and affordable process.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

It will never happen in Florida. Too many lobbyists and marine industry political donors voting and bribing for quantity over quality:
    Set high standards for operating a recreational vessel and 75% of the keys will be taken away. Nada..:rolleyes:
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think a USCG auxiliary safety course or similar should be required.

I don't mind new technology, hell, I've been one of the first to run/test some of it......like the Hinckley dasher when it first came out. I do tend to use every tool in the shed once in a while. Today a stern thruster came in very handy. Very windy, had to go into slings from a crane on a 55' azimuth, once in the slings I couldn't use gears, but wind pushing the stern close to the wall in the port......so bumped the stern thruster here and there to keep it off, until they lifted it, lifted it.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

License to operate a boat? Has anyone driven in SoFl today? All these idiots are licensed.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Think I found my problem. I was born 80 years to late.
    This could be Josie and I, really piloting a boat.
    cardeza1b.jpg
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Agreed 110%.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Make the tests and background check harder. (IQ Testing should be required, especially on boats) o_O
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Then all of the USCG auxiliary boats would be chained to the dock!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, be nice: Some good guys in that group.:confused:
  12. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Lol!!
  13. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yes this would be the Non-preppie meatheads....lol, well not all of them.

Here in NJ you must have a boat owners operators license in order to operate a boat. You have to take a Coast Guard based safety course online or in person and pass, then pass a written test in person generally held at one of the boat stores on the weekend in order to get a license.

Does Florida require a boat owners operators license or no licensing whatsoever?
  14. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Florida does require anyone born after Jan 1, 1988 obtain a Florida Safety Education Identification Card in order to operate a motorboat with 10 horsepower or more. I guess you could say it is a license without any operation test. Florida also has a huge wave runner and pontoon/small boat rental industry which adds to boating issues.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Catching it, agreeing with much of it. The person at the helm must be capable of doing everything, regardless of the technology. Boats can't rely on technology to self perform any more than Boeing can make planes fly via software that aren't properly designed to fly. Too many unforeseens. Too many unpredictable conditions. Too many sensitive electronic components in truly harsh conditions. Too many variables that can step up and impact any given situation. Murphy's Law was written for a reason, and it should be used to remind us of, well, Windows Vista.
  16. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ok; NJ requires all operators , mostly....to have a license including jet ski operators...it's all on the same test. I believe there is no more grace period .

But , yes there is no docking/running test of you and your vessel. This is a huge problem ....right ? Just about anyone can pass the online/Paper test.
    But we all know you need practice and experience behind the helm, tiller, thumb throttle , and good old stick steering , of your vessel !
  17. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

That's the rub, no basic operation test. All of us learned from experience over time and you have to start somewhere. Lots of high speed boat traffic which requires more education, hands on experience, and being alert. Thirty knots isn't fast anymore. Docking a boat manually is a must know, might be nice to have a n electronic docking system but what if it is inoperative. Hey, get out of the way folks!!!!
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, here are your choices for all of you lamenting the weakness of today's safety education card licensing programs.

1. Require captain's licenses for everyone and essentially shut down the industry.
    2. Require a "driving test" which would be extremely expensive for a one hour test and greatly reduce the number of boaters. Who pays for the licensing test? Who administers it?
    3. Grant some form of learners permit based on the written/computer test and require the first x number of hours to be with a licensed captain. Again the cost would eliminate many.
    4. Continue with a test such as the one now in existence in most states. Improve it where one can. Understand it doesn't mean they're now a skilled operator, anymore than the person getting their driver's license at 16 is a skilled driver.

Here on YF one seems to forget that "Yachting" is a very small part of the total boating picture. The industry is dependent on every boat on every lake, on fishermen, on pontoon boat owners, on ski boats, even on PWC, on sailboats, on all of the boaters and some of those eventually move up, some even become captains or engineers. Captain and Engineer licensing is in place where appropriate.

Then it's what problems are those of you screaming for more really trying to eliminate. I don't see that docking problems of the inexperienced or lack of hands on training is the huge issue those with licenses might paint it. No, the problems I see in poor and unsafe operation are operator's attitudes or condition due to alcohol, lack of attention, or drugs. Even where people know the rules, it's them failing to follow them. I'm a strong believer in eliminating unlicensed charters and banning those doing so from the water, even confiscating the boats. But I'm not a believer in restricting the entry to boating further. The current safety cards or state licenses are a huge step. I take pride in my Captain's license and think all here who are licensed should do so. However, to look down on beginning recreational boaters with disdain or condescension or criticize tools that make it easier for them is not something I agree with.

You want safer waterways, you police operating under the influence better and you observe and police reckless operation and you police unlicensed charters. You do a better job of boat inspection and eliminate some of the unsafe commercial boats and charter fishing boats and you train the navy operators better. I'll take my chances with the new operator struggling to dock. I'll offer assistance on occasion. I'll also support any tools that make it easier on them and I'll use any that make it easier on me.

Boating is very expensive to enter at any level. The new boat owner who just spent $500k on their boat is likely to be as cautious in learning to operate it as any. The new owner on the lake who just spend $50k is the same, trying to protect their new baby. Boating is already a sport that due to cost is only available for a small percentage of the people in the world. Let's not make it any more exclusive.

Also, keep in mind, that for larger boats, the insurers do a good job of requiring some hands on training. Now, why don't we require insurance on all boats, like on autos?
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I looked at the Florida course and test online a few days ago and it s a complete joke. Most of it has to do with legal alcohol limits, where to put registration numbers and a bunch of bureaucrap that is irrelevant to safe operation of a vessel

The USCG licenses, at least OUPV, 100 and 200 masters are not much better.

What is needed is more enforcement. Yes the USCG is finally cracking down on illegal charter. The problem is that the USCG doesn’t enforce basic safety violations like unsafe speeds, missing lights, etc. half the boats I see on the water at night are missing at least one light. Every week end we see numerous boats speeding and throwing wakes in the marina on the way to the ramp. In 20 years I have NEVER seen an FWC or Miami Dade patrol boats enforcing the no wake zone. Never.
  20. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I totally agree on enforcement. CG has other priorities and FWC is understaffed for it's range of responsibilities. However, if we want safer waterways, better enforcement is the key.

Same with roads and DUI but so many limitations on who you can stop and why and DUI's only result from people being stopped for different things, generally minor.