Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

A few questions...

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by beerengineer, Feb 14, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. beerengineer

beerengineer New Member

Sorry in advance. I know a lot of these questions have been asked in various forms but the answers i searched the forum for still left some small niggling questions.

I am a marine engineer from the commercial industry with a UK MCA EOOW Motor unlimited. I have recently started looking into trying out yachts and seeing if i'm cut out for it. So i've listed some questions below to avoid them being lost in paragraphs of text:

-With my ticket as it is will i just be able to sign on to a yacht and work there as an engineer?
    -Will there be any need to 'convert' my ticket into the equivalent yacht ticket or will it be fine as it is.
    -If i continue to work on yachts can i still embark on commercial training? (i.e. can i still go back to college and study for a commercial class 2 unlimited ticket as the MCA have told me the only reason my ticket would be limited would be due to vessel type and they listed 'offshore/FPSO' as an example).

With the size of some yachts these days i see no reason why i can't continue up the commercial ticket ladder and work in the yacht industry.

Thanks for any replies in advance!
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How much longer do you need in the Merch to get Class 2 completed?

Once you get Class 2 you will additionally need to do the Y1 Oral to sail as C/E on a yacht.
  3. beerengineer

beerengineer New Member

I have 12 months sea time on a cruise ship as a 3rd engineer so another 6 months before im eligible to study for my 2nds.

Its purely because i don't want to totally give up on the commercial side just yet.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You can start self studying for your 2nds anytime, you just need the seatime to get your NOE which will allow you to sit the exams and apply for the Oral examination.

Have you done a full cadetship yourself?

I ask this as if not you might be surprised how much work there is in doing all subjects for Class 2
  5. beerengineer

beerengineer New Member

Yeh i've done a full cadetship on container ships and tankers.

Yeh im aware of the work lol i worked my ass off as a cadet to make sure i got the exemptions. All i need to do is the EK exams and an oral. But i know they wont be easy haha
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Don't give up so easily.

The EK's are the easy part if you have got the rest in the bag. Orals are Orals and you will have to do some no matter which way you go.
  7. beerengineer

beerengineer New Member

Yeh its just the sea time and any limitations that was what i was worried about but we'll see.