Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

A couple of questions about STCW 95 III/3 & Y4

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by N!ck, Jan 3, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. N!ck

N!ck New Member

Hi all, I have been lurking on this board for a while but as my interest in changing careers to that of a yacht engineer is peaking I am becoming a little more proactive in searching for info.

It seems the general consensus on this board is to attempt to attain the commercial engineering qualification over the equivalent Y restricted ticket and I can see why. However, when searching for courses the y4 courses are easy to find (I would be looking at Warsash) but there doesnt seem to be an equivalent for the STCW 95 III/3. Only the III/2 (Y3 equivalent). Is there a set of courses + oral board that lets you achieve the STCW 95 III/3 that would allow me to work in the commercial sector should I wish? Or am I missing something here?

Finally if someone does have the commercial equivalent and a job is requesting the Y restricted qual, is there a process to gain a caveat / notify the MCA or can you simply walk on as if you had the Y restricted qualification?

Thanks in advance for any input
  2. beerengineer

beerengineer New Member

The reason you're probably finding a course for the III/2 and not the III/1 is that you need to do an approved cadetship to gain a III/1 commercial ticket. In engineering this means a 3 year cadetship, 6 months of sea time on commercial ships and an oral exam. Therefore you cannot simply apply for this ticket at colleges like the other tickets.

Also...

III/1 - EOOW
    III/2 - 2nd Engineer
    III/3 - Chief engineer
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Scroll down to the bottom for a list of the STCW Certs.

Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping

The exact designation of course differs a bit between USCG and the rest of the world.

You do not have to do a Cadetship to get all the way to the top, there are other ways of getting on the ladder, Royal Navy time will often be considered and some exemptions from subjects granted on a case by case basis.

Degrees in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering can also sometimes be used to offset some subjects.

The best way is to have a look at what your own background is, apply for a Notice of Eligibility for a ticket that you feel you have the experience/seatime for.

If there are minor things missing the MCA will tell you what you need to do to get up to speed, you will not be able to go higher than 2nd Eng Unlimited for your first ticket.