Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Abeking

A/C compressor rebuilds

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by CTdave, Apr 5, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hello all, I hope you survived the winter by going somewhere warm!

Issue:
    Last season one a/c compressor failed (I thought my halon discharged) but it was the compressor.
    Unit #2 is working fine.
    Unit 3 blowing but it keeps needing recharging.

The system is a Marine Airrr a/c system which isn't in business.
    The boat is a 1995 Hatteras 50 SF

Does anyone know who rebuilds these? The problem with changing out everything for new is that the controllers would need to change which means headliners, wall panels etc, etc would have to come down.

I'm actually thinking that any a/c place could do it as I've seen very similar compressors in home a/c systems.

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    David

Attached Files:

• ac.jpg
      ac.jpg
      File size:
      114 KB
      Views:
    • ac2.jpg
      ac2.jpg
      File size:
      91 KB
      Views:
    • ac3.jpg
      ac3.jpg
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
    • ac4.jpg
      ac4.jpg
      File size:
      71.4 KB
      Views:
    • ac5.jpg
      ac5.jpg
      File size:
      194.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Compressors can not be rebuild as they are sealed but the condensing unit can be pulled out and the compressor replaced with a new

No big deal, had it done a few times on various units

Now if the problem is that the system needs frequent recharge chances are it s not the compressor but a leak either in the piping between the condensors and air handler (often at connectors) or at the air handler
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Marine air was bought out by dometic, same as cruise air. Don't rebuild 20 year old junk, trust me, you will still have junk. Other parts like the condensing unit don't last any longer and you'll have nothing but future problems. Spend the money and buy a complete new unit and have something you don't have to worry about fixing for many years. Also, if the compressor went bad, it most likely sent debris and crap through the lines and condenser. If it's a shorter run, replace the lines also. Then you can fix something and not have to worry about it for a very long time.

Unit 3 may be the heat exchanging coil and it's leaking into the saltwater side. You need to fix the leak, or the system loses the oil in it with the leak and you keep adding freon but no oil charge and eventually the compressor fries. If this is the unit with the bad compressor and you have no visible oil leaks/stains after adding so much freon just change the whole unit.

I don't think you need to pull headliners or anything like that. The controll panels look very similar and probably the smx 3 panels would work, with your old panels wiring. It probably uses the telephone jack cable connections. Or you could attach a pull cord to your old wiring, pull it through and pull the new back if they didn't wire tie the heck out of it.
  4. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Pascal, yes, I was thinking replace the compressor as being part of the "rebuild". This way all of the controllers & everything remains the same. I'm thinking that my local A/C contractors supply house can run the numbers on the existing compressor & find an equal replacement. Then it's a matter of getting someone who knows a/c systems to remove the old & install the new. I think it's just a matter of welding (soldering) the refrigerant lines.

Capt J, I have had the a/c people look at it & they say the wiring would have to be replaced. I don't think it's as easy as pulling a new line as the old ones are secured behind the walls & above the head liners. It sounds like a major undertaking. If someone simply made a replacement condensing or compressor unit, I'd buy it in a second.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That s about right for a compressor in the 12 to 16k range. With labor it's usually $1200 or so

Compressors are replaced all the time. By the time you redo the whole system incl air handlers you re going to be at 3 time the cost, or more. A easy decision when you are the one writing the check :)

Actually, there are still 80s vintage blue painted cruiser system running well to this days... The old junk was a lot better built than the new stuff. So far on the boat I run we have replaced 3 of the 6 2003 vintage compressor. On my boat I ve replaced 3 of the 5 compressors (all new condensing units installed back in 2002)

And... This morning my master AC popped the breaker. It reset but compressor not starting :(
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

but wait there is more... yesterday breaker started popping on the saloon compressor on the boat i run, not when starting but when running, randomly... tech jsut checked it.. bad compressor.. it's only 4 years old, 48k BTU tecumsee... $1700 installed.

why can't this stuff last?
  8. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Job Security comes to mind. ;)
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If the OP has had to keep adding freon on an often basis, he has a pretty large leak somewhere. Adding a new compressor to a system where either the heat exchanging pipe has a leak or the condensor has a leak, will just kill the new compressor as well. Also when a Compressor goes bad, most of the time it sends debris through the entire system, the lines should be evacuated thoroughly. At 20 years old, you're just spending good money after bad, the unit has seen it's useful expected life. Most people wouldn't think of putting a new compressor on a 20 year old central a/c system on their house, so why would someone do that on a yacht with a unit that's dealing with a salty air and saltwater environment? Not to mention R22 isn't $10 lb anymore....not even close......

If you're freon pressures are too high, it will cause the compressor to use more amps and pop the breaker or damage the compressor (as will not enough of an oil charge or very low freon). This happens sometimes if the unit was charged during the winter and the water temp was 10F lower. A low water flow (raw water) will also kill compressors also in a short amount of time.

I don't know. I manage 10 different yachts +/-. I can count on 1 hand, how many times I've had an a/c tech out in the last 5 years between all 10 boats. Granted I change a/c raw water pumps myself.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

at 20 years old, indeed replacing the compressor doens't make a lot of sense but at 10 years it does considering a new 48k condensing unit lists for 3 times the cost of a compressor... about $5k. whether you put in a new compressor or a whole new condensing unit, you still have to evacuate the gas lines and air handler so that makes little difference..

all units have low pres switches which will turn off the compressor before it can suffer damage in case of a gas leak. in case of high press, the high press switch should kick in as well.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It should in both cases. But it takes 3 tries of running the compressor for 10-30 seconds (depending on how the board is setup) before the board shuts the unit down on low pressure and LP flashes on the screen.

If the unit has higher pressure than what it should operate at, but is just below the high pressure cut-off switch, the unit will use more amps (sometimes kicking the circuit breaker off like you're experiencing especially if the breaker is close to the amps used or is getting weak) and it will also tax the compressor. There is some variance between what the unit should run at and what the high pressure cutoff switch is at to allow for raw water temperature fluctuation which influences the high pressure side a great deal.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

All newer units NOW have low pressure switches. Most all have hp switches.
    I never could figure out why many pieces of equip was sold with out a LP switch, guessing, the mfg wanted to sell more equipment.
    Yes, low pressure switches make a lot of sense. I install them on every one of my a/c services.
  13. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Did the tech give a very specific cause ? Just not Bad Compressor.

When a breaker kicks it's because of a overload.. Only 2 things internally to a compressor that would cause this . First the insulation on the wiring inside is breaking down or a dead short or a bearing causing friction making the load increase.
    Your tech should give you very accurate ohms readings between the start/run/common poles compared to the factory specs. You can also check with a amp meter For for running load draw....Easy to check youself with a multimeter....

The second cause is the compressor has mechanical issues,then its a seized rotor or piston is found a amp meter will read the LRA (locked rotor amps) of the compressor .

There are many external resons a compressor won't start or runs and shuts off.. From to low or to high of a charge to someone installed the wrong capacitor size. And Many More..
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Compressor was pulling 80amps when the breaker tripped...
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That sound very much like a locked rotor current. Look the dataplate on the compressor itself and you should find a notation that looks something like LRA xx.x

Yours might be 80A
  16. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

In the first picture in this thread you can clearly see that the LRA is 61.0 amps.
    That means that compressor can not draw more than 61 amps under any condition.

Since you said it runs for a time you need to start tracking down the problem. First google the compressor model number on the metal tag and under electrical specs they will give RLA (running load amps) or a FLA (full load amps). Also get the factory spec ohms readings for the 3 poles,start, run,& common. Plus get the microfared or uF(they mean the same) size of the capacitor.You'll need this info to diagnose your problem. Could be a bad run capacitor,or contactor as well as a failing compressor. You need to go down a fault tree and I start with the electrics. I absoulty hate people who just keep changing parts until they fix it or right from the start tell you to scrap it, when the problem may only be minor and repaired .