Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

92 footer sinks off Monterey

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, May 1, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DK if that's the case, but sure that would do it. The motor is pumping water in to cool and if it doesn't go out the exhaust it's going in the bilge. Like putting a big bilge pump in the bay with the hose going into your boat.
  2. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Yeah but turn off the engine and boat stops flooding. Unless maybe underwater exhaust.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. Shouldn't be hard to figure out once the alarm went off, but not much surprises me. Haven't we all met people who kept driving their car with the oil light lit thinking "I'll check that when I get home"?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Depends on the type of exhaust. If thru the transom and something came loose that s a big hole. Captain may not find the source quick enough to plug the hole in the transom... and then time to find something the right size... maybe a good reminder to have a ball sized for the hole...

Now if underwater exhaust then the built in fiberglass tubes usually extends pretty high above waterline so that shouldn’t be a problem. And if the water hose going to the exhaust injection gets loose, the high temp alarm is going to be blaring....

but who knows what happened
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If it's a dry exhaust no problem, but everything else you wrote is totally dependent on where the lose connection is. You also assumed a hole when it was stated to be a lose connection. Who carries balls sized to whatever size hole a boat develops? Maybe use a fender to plug a hole, but "a ball sized for the hole"???:rolleyes:
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Btw, turning off the motors is the last thing you want to do with a flooding boat until you know it's the motor causing the flooding. You may need that motor to run the boat aground or to use as a bilge pump.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

why do you think I said :

“maybe a good reminder to have a ball sized for the hole... ”

Depending on the size it could be a football, a fender or anything that can be wedge at the transom. Since most of us like having wooden plugs close to sea cocks... why not have something ready for the biggest holes in the **** boat?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.