Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mulder

8v92TA Ocean 48 Sport Fish

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Capt John, Sep 15, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt John

Capt John New Member

Interested in what anyone has to say about these diesels. Maintenance, issues, time between over-halls, fuel burn rate at cruise. I was told by an experienced long time diesel tech, that these engines are the worst Detroit built. High failure rate with all the 92 series engines. I could expect the engines to fail around the 1000 hours or earlier. The engines in this boat are rated at 750hp and have 800 hours on them. I'd like to get as much info from users as possible. What have you experienced. Thanks
  2. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Early failure on DD is due to overheating or overloading. If the engines can turn a true (laser/digital tach) 50-100 rpm over their rated rpm with the boat fully loaded then 3-4 thousand hours is not unrealistic. Marine age is the next killer and it sounds like you are already up against that as it sounds like the engines have very low hours for their age. If you are buying the boat then any sea water components over seven years old should be removed, tested and probably replaced. Many of these engines were underpowered or marginally powered for the boats they went into. Everything you asked really depends on the boat. Fuel burn rate is going to depend on the boat and what you consider cruise speed/rpm to be. What boat are they in?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

8v92's normally go 1800-2000 hours in a SF, as the other poster said, if you can get them to turn 2400rpms at full throttle, they'll live a happier and longer life then that and some see 3500-4000 hours or more if you cruise them at 1900-1950rpms. The 92 series are less durable and long term then the 71 series. The ones you have will live a lot longer then the 835HP J+T's which would only go 1000 hours probably. They also will live longer being they're in an ocean with a faster cruise. They seem to live a shorter live in the SF's or MY's where they barely keep it on plane 18-20 knots and the load factors (and speed) jump up and down when climbing waves and such.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I burn around a hundred an hour at 1800 rpm with twice the engine (16's)- so a good place to start is 50 an hour at cruise between 1750 and 1900. My winter home is Sailfish Marina on the charter dock. I have less engine issues than nearly every single boat on the dock. Many newer engine the electronics cause issues. I put less hours than most of the guys on the dock but many of the captains openly prefer DD's.
  5. Capt John

Capt John New Member

The Boat

The boat is a 1995, 48 ocean Sport Fish. 46000lbs with 4.2 draft, 750HP. The cruise speed is 34 with a top speed of 41. I do not know at what RPM the engines are turning at those speeds. For what your saying and the others on this thread is that these motors run better and longer above 1900 rpm's. Doesn't matter what the speed is, as long as there above 1900.
    I know I didn't mention this but these are electronic. D Decks.
    Most of the 48's run the 6v92's, with I think 635HP.

This feedback for this thread is very helpful. If anyone has any additional information please add it to the thread. The information I got on the engines came from someone who had them in his trucks, which may account for the short life. No sure what RPM's his tractors run at when their on the road.
  6. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

From that description the engines should be fine in that boat. The boat has plenty of power. The cruise speed is well beyond just planing and the spread between WOT and cruise is more than adequate. The engines are on the edge based on rated horsepower but cruising at 34 vs 41 WOT you won't be pulling anywhere near that amount of horsepower out of the engines. Just make sure they turn up full RPM and are properly maintained.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

+1. Also an addition of Exhaust Gas Temp gauges on the engines would be a great help and you could keep them cruising with the best fuel/air/load based upon your EGT's....... I think they like 800 degrees if I'm not mistaken.
  8. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

I put those on my 8V92's (one on each bank) and you are correct, they run almost exactly 800 degrees at cruise speeds +. It is amazing how quickly they drop when you back of the power. If you are down on power and one bank is running cold on the EGT you can go there first to find you problem. They led me right to a stuck injector once.
  9. Capt John

Capt John New Member

EGT's

The boat does have EGT's guages on both engines. Thanks for all your info. It is much appreciated. If there is anything else you can add or think of later please add it to the thread.