Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Mulder

8v92 TA oil capacity

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ArielM, Sep 26, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

I have an 8v92ta. Can someone tell me the oil capacity of that engine? Some people say 6 gallons some say 8 gallons. Then the question also becomes are we filling a dry engine or after oil change as oil is still on the lines, oil cooler etc.

I need to be very exact with this as i plan to make new markings on my dip sticks. The other question i have for marking the dipstick is how many gallons under optimal oil capacity do i mark the LOW? The dipsticks i have found thus far are NOT marked which is another reason i need to know exactly how many gallons this engine takes. Any input is appreciated.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ask your dealer what the capacity is with your serial number. Do your current dipsticks not have markings, and why would you feel that they are not correct? Why not mark the new dipsticks exactly like the old ones? You are not going to get all of the oil out of the cooler or lines when you do an oil change. On DD's the difference between High and low on the dispsticks I've seen is around an inch.
  3. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

I dont truts the guys at the parts department. They make so many mistakes that i simply dont trust them with information like this.

I dont trust my dipsticks for a couple reasons. First of all they were marked by the previous owner. I dont know what method he used to calibrate. The second issue is that the left and right engine have dipsticks which are different lengths.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Don't worry GM sell them in a number of lengths , if yours is no longer log enough to reach the oil they will have a longer one you can try :)

The above was of course only a joke.

The dip sticks might be different lengths overall but how does the length compare between the ferrule under the top end and the highest mark on the dip stick?

What is the distance between the upper and lower marks on your dip stick?

I have calibrated a number of dip sticks over the years.

Fill your engine with the correct quantity and grade of Engine Oil.

If you can prime the filters before starting then all the better.

If not run the engine for a few minutes then stop it and add what you reckon the filters hold. Make a mark, make another at the same distance from where they are now. That's it your done. Don't be surprised if you burn less oil by maintaining the level somewhere between the marks rather than right against the full one.

In all the time you have been posting I am amazed that now this call comes out. When did you decide the dipsticks were not doing the job?

If you can check the oil while the engine is running make another mark this will normally on a CAT be between the two marks not sure exactly where it will be on a DD.

I also do not remember ever calibrating a dipstick on a DD in any application I have seen in on and off road vehicles.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The new DD dipsticks are extra long and are never marked anymore because they just sell the extra long one, so the same part will fit a 6v71 to a 12-92. ALSO on DD's I've seen the dipstick tube having two different lengths due to a different shape between used between port and starboard for access, and having different length dipsticks. You have to scribe them yourself. I changed one and made sure everything was exactly the same as the old one. However, I would do an oil change and see how the dipsticks read. Another thing with a lot of DD's, the level in the pan can change a lot depending on how the boat is sitting. For example if the stern rises 5" like on a SF low on fuel, it will change the level on the stick quite a bit (like 1/2-3/4") on a 12v71. It might also hold a different amount depending on who marinized it. Find out who marinized it (JT, Covington, etc.) and give them a call about capacity. But scribe it as KIWI said.
  6. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

I dont fully understand what K1 mentioned. can you clarify? Fill my 6 gallons (Or whatever is specified including the filter). Mark it. What is that mark, my FULL mark? if so what do i use as my low? As mentioned i want to do this without using the old dipsticks at all. Thanks in advance.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Yes, that would be your full mark... high to low mark on a DD8V92 dipstick is typically about an inch between... which represents about a gallon. Do you have a mechanic?