Click for Comfort Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Perko

74' Roamer, Only one built still alive, barely, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by acbs38, Feb 7, 2013.

1. doompatrol

doompatrol Guest

But...the yard will know that there's a viable economic sector involved in "breaking" ships. Scrap does have value, and scrappers and the yard most likely know it. If this was a wood or FRP hull, it would be worth zero because that's the scrap value of the hull.

I'd approach with alloyed2sea's recommendation but keep in mind that there is probably $20k or so in scrap value. A guy with a sawsall and a pickup could have a pretty good month.

I think THAT's the competition, and that's what a buyer would want to keep in mind as an upper price limit.

Long-term slip fees etc work well for the yard, but how many dreamers start on something like this only to abandon it in far worse shape after a couple of years? Boatyards are full of abandoned dreams. I've never met a yard owner who wanted that.

Maybe, as an addition to alloyed2sea's plan, it would be good to sit down with the owner/yard owner with a practical repair plan. Let them know you've got a good handle on what it will take to bring her back to life. If they see you're for real, they might just take a super low-ball offer.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ya take the plunge yet?
  3. CoastRoamer

CoastRoamer New Member

Still available?

If the vessel is still available, can anyone provide the contact information on her? Yea... addict here with interest in sinking time and money.
  4. CoastRoamer

CoastRoamer New Member

Still available?

Have you decided to pick her up? If she's still available - I would be interested in taking a closer look. Got any contact info?
  5. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

Well I don't know about the 74 Chrissy but I did buy a 38CC sedan about 5 years ago and she was in really bad shape,no engine and all stuff they could sell was gone,stove,ac's head torn out.etc.
    She had had several owners who were going to fix her up and that is where thetearing out came from,none ever did any work that was satisfactory.
    After 3 years of work like a job as I am retired and now 77 she turned out beautiful.
    I even re gelcoated the whole hull and top sides and sanded it 6 times before wax and buffing.
    I guess I spent 50K and it is worth about 30K on a good day and 3 years of hard work.
    BUt I love a challange and wish I could tackle another one!!Admiral says NO WAY!!!
    -
  6. CoastRoamer

CoastRoamer New Member

74' Still alive, but barely

Thanks for the update. I know the effort would span years and thousands for investment, but as you said - well worth it all.

I will keep looking for that pearl in the rough, then set aside the proper amount of time to curse the decision later.
  7. acbs38

acbs38 New Member

The person I was talking to was Paul at Edgewood Marina located in RI. number at marina is 401-569-2300, or portedgewoodaol.com. Good luck let us know what you find out
  8. SFS

SFS Senior Member

Any updates on this?
  9. rmayo99421

rmayo99421 New Member

I can feel your pain. I am the new keeper of the Dreamchaser. She is in Pcola and doing well except for a few skin spots in the exhaust channels.
  10. SFS

SFS Senior Member

So you are David W.'s son? I hope you and your Dad keep us posted on the progress you make. What a cool project for someone studying Naval Architecture.
  11. David Wiggins

David Wiggins New Member

Nope wrong person. Our boat is Stardust IV 1970 41'. Maybe we should start a thread on the restoration
  12. WilliamKimbal

WilliamKimbal New Member

13. WilliamKimbal

WilliamKimbal New Member

I was reading your post about the 74 foot roamer director in NJ, it is one of four built by Chris Craft from 1976-1977-1978-1979.I own and operate the 1977 74ft Chris Craft Roamer Director. It is located in Tenn.
    If you have a 74 ft Chris Craft ,what year is it? You can go on line and look my boat up ( Chris Craft-Babycakes ).I have changed her name to Seraphina .Chris Craft told me it took a little over a year to build each one. The main body of the boat was built in the north and floated down river and taken to Pompano Beach Florida and finished by Chris Craft. I hope this will help your research. These four boat are all aluminum boats. William