Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Mulder

70' Hatteras on our list to consider...can the 2 of us handle her?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by AquariusMate, Aug 31, 2019.

1. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Yes, I understand the challenges for boating minus the side decks, and yes, I can see the difference between the Burger and the Hatt. Agreed that I overlooked the lack of wing doors on the Hatt.

Stern lines...I kick stern lines up from the cleats to the bridge deck and secure them to the tender. Others handle the lines up front, and I step back to kick stern lines when it's time. One day I might evolve to a PH captain, but for now I love the comfort of the bridge helm.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The lack of side decks isn’t a huge issue for line handling even with just two people on board. Whether coming alongside or backing the first and most critical lines are the spring lines and they re a few steps away from the helm. Once that s set, there is plenty of time to come in and secure the stern lines.

Another downside to not having side deck is when you are anchored and people have to track wet bathing suits from the swim platform to the Sun pad at the bow. And having to go thru cold AC when wet.
  3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I think this comes down to personal tastes and use. I mean, if you're extremely active in and out of the water, you're better served with perhaps a Yachtfish or simply a Sportfish. I had two under contract at the same time, and I chose the wide body in spite of spending considerable time in Florida and the Caribbean. The livability of the boat inside is incredible. Want sun? Front deck is very comfortable, and the bridge deck is massive.

You make up your mind which fits you best, then adjust to whatever it offers in detractions while you learn how she responds in tight quarters as well as at sea.