Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

6pak overnight.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by dennismc, Apr 16, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

6 pak vessel legal all OK but one ? Is there a restriction on overnight berthed passengers ?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Doesn’t matter if it s a two hour or two week charter. Rules are the same
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Let me ask it this way.
    Under 6 pak operation are berthed passengers allowed. ?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Sure.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

And finally, what inspection standard do they fall under ? and can they retain pleasure craft registry ?.

I have a party interested in purchasing a Canadian pleasure craft and putting into 6 pak charter operation and are curious about the different std's that may be applicable.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

IMMO, your party should be reading and familiarizing themselves with all the rules governing that license class in his/her intended area of operation before making a decision on the venture.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

8. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Is currently a Cdn vessel but was built in the US and had been documented there at one time. It's the survey that has him concerned as current survey is Transport Canada requirements for pleasure craft and he is trying to see what major differences there may be, if this was coming in to Canada for charter ops then the vessel is required to be "new construction commercial" same as the ferries etc, pretty onerous to do , totally financially impractical. Canadian "uninspected" tonnage is only for under 15 tons 12pak. Current vessel is 90 tons on US previous ownership document.
    The input is appreciated and valuable.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Confused. Are you asking about US rules or Canadian... would be nice if you were more specific. Your first post mentioned 6 pak which i believe is a US term. Then you mention Canada...

Here in the US, an UNINSPECTED passenger vessel can take up to 6 paying passengers with a OUPV licensed captain if under 100 GT and up to 12 paying passengers if over 100 GT with a 200T master.

Day or overnight.

No idea about Canada
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

As stated above, Canada sets its own maritime rules, need to find a Canadian who is well versed in them. Don’t assume anything from the US crosses over.
  11. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I cannot find in the US regs where a vessel going into charter ops 6 pak has to become documented as commercial, that is the purchasers concern having operated vessels here here as a charter vessels (not this particular one) we have read the US pleasure craft regs and have no issues with that should this vessel go to the US. I was perhaps too overly cautious in my correspondence with him and cautioning re the inspection process that one has to do here in order to do charter work. Consider the question mute at this time.
    Tks again.
  12. KoffeeCruising

KoffeeCruising Member

The real question to ask is will your charter insurance cover overnights....that is after you earn a 6 pack
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I do 6 pack Charters in Florida, with the blessings of the USCG (http://www.d1upv.org/)

My boat is not documented, but registered as a commercial vessel in Florida.
    The way around the Documentation requirement is called Simplified Tonnage Measurement or some such thing. PM if you need to know.

As for restrictions on overnight with 6 pax, never heard of it, have ‘em all sleep onboard and serve ‘ dinner and breakfast, but then the crew may have to be certified and drug tested if you go on long voyages and the Captain needs a rest period, also you can’t serve alcohol aboard unless you have a liquor license. (I don’t, bring your own booze is plenty legal.)
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

He wasn't asking regarding having the 6 passengers aboard, but was talking about additional ones spending the night while docked.
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Doesn't matter any longer - he shut his question down. See#11
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The 6 passenger limitation, or 12 if over 100GT, applies whether the boat is underway or docked. Even at the dock you can not have extra passengers.