Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

65 donzi

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by captainviv, Oct 12, 2010.

1. captainviv

captainviv Member

hi guys , hope someone can help?

what sort of hull does the early '90-'93 donzi 65" enclosed flybridge have? is it a "fast" semi displacement or more of "slow" planing hull?
    thanks
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

To the best of my knowledge, the 65' Donzi has always been based on a planing hull. And a "slow" planing hull is generally an overweight and/or underpowered hull. ;)
  3. captainviv

captainviv Member

thanks, using a "calculator" to see what sort of HP i would need . they have "slow , average and fast" planing hulls . so need to put in a value.
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Your 65 Donzi hull is a modified vee, 12 deg. deadrise, 30 knot top speed w/ 1350 HP Cats.

I'd guess that it qualifies as 'fast'.
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Most 65 Donzi's before '90 came with either 12-92's or 16-92's. The 16-92's were usually rated at 1450HP, and top end was around 30 knots. The 16-92 sit very nicely in the boat and are a great "fit" for the vessel. In an enclosed version you would most likely not want to go with less HP as it's a bit heavy compared to the open bridge version.
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

No doubt. What's strange is that the only 12v92 65's I've seen have been enclosed bridge boats. Go figure.
  7. 14freedom

14freedom New Member

72' Donzi "Escape"

Hey All,
    I delivered a 72' open bridge 1994 from FTL to Long Island. 16-92's, 1450 HP, cruised @ 24kts @ 1950rpm, fuel burn 120gph. Topped out @ 28kts.
    It's a deep-vee planing hull, climbed onto plane at about 16, I LOVED that boat.
    There was an article about a 65' that went through a hurricane during delivery around the mid 90's, I think somewhere in Mexico. They all survived as well as the boat...
    It was a new boat to this owner, I went over systems and operations with the Roscioli Captain, I forget his name but very knowledgeable, call Roscioli and I'm sure they can help.
    Hope this helps,
    Dan
    PS- Captainviv, ever run into Jeff Hoffman down there?
  8. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

"My" boat has the 16's and it's not enclosed. Built in '87. Buy it and I'll have my owner get a newer bigger Donzi. :)
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

Not exactly. Oasis ended up in Davy Jones' Locker.
  10. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

The boat was sank so that it would not be a hazard to navigation- it survived the storm otherwise.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What do you mean? Why would they sink it if it survived the storm?
  12. RER

RER Senior Member

A Chiquita Banana freighter ran 200 miles to assist. Before they climbed aboard the freighter, it's been reported they took a hammer to the sea strainers of the disabled Donzi. They were at San Benedicto 19°19′N 110°49′W ...a long, long way from any services. Even more so back in 1992.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

why not just let it float? doesn't make sense......any debris would be long gone before the storm was over......maybe it would've washed up somewhere
  14. RER

RER Senior Member

...somewhere. South America maybe. I think it was believed they were doing the responsible thing as posted above. Hazard to navigation, etc.

Some on board thought the situation was not at the "abandon ship" level as the worst of the hurricane had passed. Others were convinced the disabled boat was damaged to the extent that to remain aboard would endanger their lives. And again, out there at any of the Revillagigedo Islands you're pretty much on your own.
  15. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

After surviving thry the storm perhaps the thought process was a bit off. I read the full story and it's a good read.
  16. Manny

Manny Senior Member

I posted a thread with the actual footage of that Donzi in the hurricane. I remember hearing about that Donzi after it happened, and that's when i first heard and learned of Roscioli's boats.