Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

64 Viking sinks in gulf

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by jurisich, Nov 30, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    NYCAP123, I did not discuss the mistakes he may have made, I just think almost everybody deserves a second chance!
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You did say "almost." As an employer, I'd have to know far more than we do now about this. I'd need details and to hear his side face to face. However, might not even be relevant as if my insurer says no, then that's the firm answer. I've had similar situations with driver employed by my previous employer. One didn't have any accidents in one of our trucks but it was his personal car.

Now, I'll also say this. If one was operating a car or boat under the influence, I'd give no second chance. I'd hire for other things but as to driving, that's a deal breaker. That's one of my zero tolerance areas.

I think he might have to work his way back up by starting in a lesser position.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have had more than a few close calls in all of my years on the water. Not from crashes or impact, but serious taking on water situations that would've resulted in a sinking a few fire situations that would've resulted in a total loss. I also saved another boat from sinking that I was on and not the captain, a 38' Panga with 20 divers, 24 people total, and 40 dive tanks in Belize. The difference between a very good Captain and an average Captain is how good you are at remaining calm in those situations, thinking clearly, and remedying the problem fast enough. Really, the first 2-5 minutes in situations like that is all of the difference between saving and losing the vessel..... unless it was like that 63' Bertram that just disintigrated off of the Carolina's a few years back. In this situation a comforter stuffed in a garbage bag, might've saved the day. But you just cannot judge what happened and how it unfolded without being there when it happened. But my best guess, considering that the hole was above waterline, is that the boat could've been saved. Even if you floated out there, until a tow boat or the USCG came out to assist.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

X2

I've been a frogs whisker away from losing "the boat" three times in twenty years- one due to weather, one due to misjudging waves, and one due to equipment failure + bad crew advice. I never drink when I'm the senior person aboard no matter if I'm the captain or not. I read a book when I was young that said a frog's whisker is as wide a mile. Capt J is right- how you act under pressure is key. My diving guide time taught me that and I never had any serious injuries for my divers while most every guide I knew did or had lost divers completely.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The smartest guy I ever worked for told me "I don't care how many mistakes you make. Just don't make the same one twice". So I definitely believe in second chances, BUT some mistakes you just don't come back from. The boat's owner did discuss the mistakes made. Although he didn't come down on the captain for them, they really weren't so much mistakes as carelessness. Carelessness is not forgivable. Mind you that when I say not forgivable I'm not talking about hating the guy; just not giving him a second chance to be irresponsible again.

Watching the fish instead of where the boat was= carelessness (not forgivable).
    Bringing the boat on plane rather than cruising in slowly to keep the water out of the hole= mistake (forgivable)
    Not having someone monitor the crash pumps= carelessness (not forgivable)
    Not plugging the hole = probably a mistake, but we don't know the size of the hole or if he had materials to stem the leak (forgivable).
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, I look at it both ways. I think the owner of the boat genuinely feels bad for the Captain. Assuming the Captain is the quality man indicated, I certainly do. His life has changed irreversibly. Careless or forgivable the personal impact is huge.

That said, as an owner or potential employer, there are too many good captains out there for me to hire him as Captain/Master plus my insurer would probably not allow it. Now, if he is a fine man wanting to prove himself again, I would consider him for lesser positions. He's going to have to work himself back to being trusted with greater responsibility and may never regain what has been lost.

In some ways society is very forgiving and other ways we really aren't. Get a felony drug conviction at the age of 18 and find out if you ever get forgiven. Even when you're 40 or 50, most apartment complexes will not rent to you. Most employers won't hire you. You have to pull yourself together and pursue an entirely different career path than the one you planned.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just yesterday the world lost a man who set the bar for forgiveness higher than anyone could ever imagine. No political leaders and very few of us could even imagine doing what he did. I agree with you olderboater. I would like to see him given the opportunity to try and work his way back from how the owner described him. Don't know if it's possible. I know very few people, and no insurance companies, that remind me at all of Nelson Mandela. (Hope all will forgive me giving this tribute, but it's hard to talk of forgiveness today without thinking of him.)