Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

63' LOA voyage to inland NJ

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by niftyc, Nov 25, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. niftyc

niftyc New Member

Our big personal news is that we need to spend 10 months in Princeton, NJ for work, starting Sep 2023. We'll be motoring from Detroit. Sadly Princeton is not a deep water harbor ;). This is going to be a big transition and I wondered if the big boat yachtsmen on here had advice about any part of it. We have an unusual boat that is 63' LOA and 50 tons, but we aren't rich -- it is more of a weird fixer-upper. 6' draft, 13' 6" bridge clearance so I think we can transit the Erie Canal to NJ. After that, affordable 63' dockage seems like a tall order. We are usually last out, first in. So: we need somewhere within a ~1-hour drive of Princeton for a few months, then haul out Dec 1 (?) (we usually use a 70-ton lift), then stay somewhere else for a few months at the start of next season? (So we get to see two different places.) Definitely looking for a dock not a mooring but I'm not sure if that's practical.

It seems like--I know I'm dreaming here--since we are colder weather boaters there might be someone with a big berth who goes down to Florida in August and/or returns in June and we could grab a few months they aren't using, but I don't know how to find such a person as we haven't done this before. We are yacht club members and can get reciprocal privileges if that helps.

Let me say I'm trying to figure out what would be practical, but also what would be fun! Both downtown Philadelphia and Raritan Bay are ~1 hour from Princeton, Raritan Bay looks more fun... but I know nothing about the area!

Doing the journey via the Western Erie Canal rather than the Welland also seems ideal but I'm not super happy with my 6-ft draft.

Does anyone have advice for this big girl? The site tag line says "we know big boats" so we're hoping!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Very interesting looking vessel you’ve got!
    Forget about Philadelphia. Very little for a boat like yours in the summertime and everything shuts down in the winter time with no dockage whatsoever for a boat like yours.

There use to be a marina in Philadelphia where I lived a board for three years but it’s gone no longer there right by the Ben Franklin Bridge.

Hudson River Jersey side has a few marinas that would work for you.
    I believe Liberty Island Marina and some others up there could handle you for the winter. I would also look around Sandy Hook/ Atlantic Highlands NJ there might be something there also.

I’m sure some others will chime in from the area that are more knowledgeable than I am.
    I think the 74th street marina on the NY side is still there. That would be something to consider also.
    niftyc likes this.