Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning

60-meter British Flagged Vessel FOX sinks in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Master John, Dec 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The fact that he represents TYR carries weight for many hence some doors will no doubt open for him because of that alone.

He says he is involved in the specification development for a Hybrid Spec build at Kingship, this is probably why he gets a mention by the boss there.

I guess there is not much limit to where a Glaswegian ex Drummer can go if he has also spent sometime face down on the blarney stone on the way.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You need a visit to the old sod. It's face up to kiss the Blarney Stone.:D That's (and the 80 year old drunk Irishman holding your feet) what scares the vocal cords straight.:D
  3. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Because there's such a desire to build and so little marine knowledge here all sorts of drop-outs find themselves management positions around here. Slowly as knowledge grows the real misfits find themselves out of work but the occasional "Captain" with a good sales pitch and a strong charisma gets the opportunity to aquire a bit of fame and fortune.
    I've seen a few of them from up close and withnessed them building up reputations build as a house of cards.
    Almost nothing is regulated here and although that offers opportunities we haven't got back home it also allows the overall reputation of the marine business in SE Asia to get damaged at times.

I don't think this forum should be used to accuse people without giving them an honest opportunity to defend or a place where disputes brought in from outside should be settled. But as it is a place where you can learn from and about inspiring people it's also good to learn about certain characters better to steer well clear of.

Thanks for your insiders information, that's it from me for now.
    I'm off for a nice spin in my compressed-air-powered-runaboat!:D
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

We had a member at YF who might disagree. He was captain on a new build from Kingship...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/kingship-yacht/6809-kingship-yacht-launches-m-y-princess-k.html

I met with Phillip White at a Kingship press conference at Bahia Mar two years ago. I don't know much about his credentials, but he seemed well versed and was eager for me to meet the president of Kingship, Roger Liang, as they were embarking on the Kingship "Greenship" project and I was familiar with the Siemens hybrid drive program.
  5. Deckie

Deckie New Member

My first post so excuse any misteps. There are some 47 images taken of this failed launching that have been posted on the Facebook Wall of Premium Nautical (Singapore), should anyone wish to take a look.

Perhaps some things will be obvious to others from the photos.

Apologies if these photos have been tagged here before.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF Deckie. Could you lead us to that? I just hit their page and found nothing related.
  7. Deckie

Deckie New Member

Hi there, if you find their page on Facebook under Groups, take a look at their Wall postings, it should be the third one down. If you can get to that page, you cant miss it !
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Martin Redmayne's editorial "Stern Words: Talking the Talk" in the July issue of The Superyacht Report is a very interesting and relevant read for those who have found this thread interesting.

It is particularly interesting in that it is the first time, and the only time I can recall when this subject has been raised in public by a respected industry figure. Martin has pulled back the curtain on one of our industry's dirty little secrets.

It has been the topic of private converation among many of us for years but like many social ills, is not raised in "polite company" and never in print. However, as many of us see the results almost every day. The waste of owner's time and money is astonishing. I personally believe it is the root of the frequently adversarial relationship between owners and yards, and it drives potential owners away from yachting.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Is there any place to see the pics other than Facebook? I kind of cringe at the idea of having to "join" that site.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

There isn't anything earth shattering shown there.

I found the article you wrote about above and elsewhere in the same magazine saw some comment by one of the principals involved in this ill fated project.

Does anyone know what has become of this vessel since the mishap that left it partly submerged?
  12. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yeah, I wonder if the outcome was one of those "shared expectations"?
  13. 84far

84far Senior Member

Wow, I've been following this thread... very interesting to say the least.

I'm very very surprised that the Nav Arch's didn't pickup on that stern section... no wonder that tipped over. And the superstructure looks to wide and high... I would hate to find M.

Far
  14. 84far

84far Senior Member

But it's sooo trendy, and we could be the best of buds :rolleyes:

Far
  15. tirekicker11

Is there any chance non-subscribers can find this article somewhere?
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I kind of doubt it, I have never found it. It is their rice bowl. Maybe someone can scan the article and send it to you.
  17. 84far

84far Senior Member

I'm reading the magazine hopefully this week, but I'm not anywhere near a scanner, hopefully end of next week when I get back home from overseas.

Far
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am not sure which article he is looking for the Magazine or the photos on Facebook.
  19. tirekicker11

Cheers Far! Much appreciated.

I'd like to read this article. It all happened quite near to my doorstep and I know some of the people involved with this boat.
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That magazine article does not deal with the sinking, the photos are on someones wall on FB that allows public access.

Which is it you are after?