Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross

60-meter British Flagged Vessel FOX sinks in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Master John, Dec 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Ain't that the truth, these days I am very selective about who I recommend to anyone for anything.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What else could anyone call a partially sunk boat lying on its side at the end of the ways?

All the info needed to call it a "major screwup" is in plain sight.

Even if this was a planned event and the launch went exactly how those in charge intended, it is a "major screwup" from the point of public relations, marketing, and industry opinion of those who had control of the operation.

The technical explanation might be unknown but the result is obvious to all but a very very small number of peculiarly deluded observers.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It may have been a minor mistake that caused it. Maybe someone forgot to grease the skids or tighten a nut, but the result is a major screw-up. When a launch ends with a sunk boat there is just no other way to describe it.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

5. Alik

Alik New Member

Calculations could be perfect; weight management during build could be poor.

On the video of launching the door was open.
  6. Alik

Alik New Member

I got this spam today by email also. The company in question keeps sending their annoying press-releases. Besides a) we have never subscribed, and also b) had to unsubscribe from those emails few months before. Hey, guys - would You please stop it?

Not a single word about launching accident, only new huge plans and success stories. If they spend more time on technical issues, less on bare PR (unsound and annoying!) they could probably succeed - with right people.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If the fact that their first project fell over on launch and went to the bottom wasn't enough they are hooked up with someone who has allowed a large amount of smoke to be blown up his posterior in the past and written fine examples of cheque book journalism.

He was a particular victim of a rectal hot air assault when reviewing the Air Car that was discussed on here a couple of years ago.

I wonder if this person was involved in the crucial calculations and or launch procedure that sparked this thread.

If so it is no surprise.

Here is the person referred to: http://www.yachtsolutions.com/images/ourpeople/tork-buckley.pdf
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone would say it out loud.

It does prove the point that far too often in this business it isn't what you can do but who you can do.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It may also prove that $ for PR and a fancy website can counter reputation. We shall see.
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

While I won't presume to speak for K1W1, I believe his post has more to do with shining a light on a carefully crafted image than substance.

This entire affair is a textbook example of marketing strategy. Tactically, the company and its employees got lost on the way to the battlefield, but by hiring and publicizing a "talking head" they figure on looking good marching foward.

"Half a league, half a league, half a league onward ..."
  11. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

But then who buys this stuff. I may assume that the captain or owner of a certain vessel of substantial value does do his due dilligence.
    A bit of googling the name of this all-round marine superman mentioned in K1W1's post also shows a crafted image but no real substance.

A name search shows a number of websites and a linkedin page that all share the same impressive resume but never mention any qualifications other than a MCA Master of Yacht. It also doesn't introduce any employees apart from the director though their services stretch from technical assistance to marketing.

I just can't believe people walk into this trap.
  12. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Unfortunately the way the "system" works, owners walk into this trap every day and they pay dearly for the experience. It is what drives many first time owners out of yachting.

In fairness to the gentleman we are tiptoeing around, his value as a walking Rolodex should be considered above other implied attributes.
  14. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Seriously, is there NO one around the yards, consultants, trades, professions, engineers, designers, Captains, should I go on? who does not have a contact who has heard of Yacht Forums, that maybe can ask these potential clients to log on?
    That is all they need to do to get the best reference they could possibly get!
    WTH..........SERIOUSLY!
    Is it not a SMALL world amongst those that have the capacity to play in this ocean, at that level especially?

How many members now?
    That is the greatest thing about YF: open, unafraid, unpaid for, professional, diverse opinions from people who float, build, design, navigate, pay for and enjoy, sometimes suffer.
    Not desk jockeys in the pockets of builders and public companies.

If after that no one steps up to clear their names regarding what is posted here (the fact they have not says it all in any case, as I am sure THEY are reading this), then these guys deserve what they get in bad reputations
    And lost business.
    But more importantly, the clients need to be made aware of the questions being asked here that can then be answered “swiftly“by the only persons who know the facts…..THEN let them make an informed bloody mistake!
    Hell, enough, now back to my single malt!
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The chance would be fine thing but owing to the differing time zones I will have to first deal with my Smoked Scottish Salmon http://www.smokedsalmon.co.uk/publish.asp?what=info_smokery&page=1 and homegrown Pumpkin soup before going out this evening with the thought of a wee dram at the end being a fair one.
  16. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

You lucky *******!
    All I have is the Whiskey & a wee bit of more ......whiskey!
    BTW, very cold here at the moment,
    wearing socks to bed!
    Cheers
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is 2011. Greed trumps everything. Many people, who don't understand the value of reputation, will figure that if a yard screwed up and got caught they can cut a better deal and that they'd never do it again...at least not to them. Which brings us to the old saying about a fool and his money... If Bernie Madoff came out of jail tomorrow, by the next day people would be lining up to invest with him. I'm from a culture where a man could spend his entire life trying to live down his grandfather's reputation, and for good reason. How many of us old marrieds have seen the worst traits of our mother-in-laws emerging from our wives skin? But this is 2011. It won't happen to me.:rolleyes:
  18. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

I understand how this person can become editor at something like The Yacht Report and I also understand how he can get himself an appointment as guest speaker at the Asia Superyacht Conference but what I don't understand is how he get's a great reference from the founder and CEO of Kingship posted on his website.
    As far as I know Kingship is one of the most reputable yards of this region.

Interesting detail is that the new project manager at Yacht Solutions is ex- Kingship.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All it takes is supporting a charity their involved in, vacationing together, having your kids in the same school or giving them an "incentive". References, on their face, mean nothing. Reputation means everything.
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

There are many ways to measure performance. A CEO will more than likely use a far different metric than an engineer or an owner.

As an engineer and a technician, I share your evaluation of this situation. It is the source of much head shaking among many of us.

(Hey K1W1, you started this, I would love to hear more of your comments)