Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

60' Hatteras

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by jtconk7, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jtconk7

jtconk7 New Member

My wife and I are looking at a 1988 60' Hatteras convertable. We are a little concerned about buying a boat this old. It has been re-fitted to our satisfaction but we are concernd about hull quality. Has anyone gone through this process recently and how has it worked out for you?
    Thank you in advance!

Jeff and Debbie
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

concerned about hull quality on a Hatteras??

that's a non issue... as tough as they get. Walk any dock and see how many older hatteras are still being used (SF or MY). You can't go to a decently sized marina on the East Coast and not find at least one old hatt. MY.

i see that you are on the left coast where hatteras are not as common due to the distance.

the only issue with these older Hatts is that they were heavy (good) therefore not as fast and fuel efficient as modern boats but they were build very well. On board system are excellent incl. things like fiberglass fuel tanks which will last for ever .
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hull quality is a non-issue. I would take a 20 year old hatteras over many new boats......I am currently taking a 75' 20 year old hatteras on a 5500NM trip right now and have no concerns of any issues with hull quality.....
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Nothing will take the place of a proper survey by a reputable surveyor. Be advised on the other hand he/she will (if done correctly) will list many items that are non issues in the long run. Consult a least several working captains in addition to formulate a consensus so that you can make a wise decision.
    Hatt 60'd have a solid rep IMHO.