Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

58' Viking Hull Number 1 - 10 where are you?

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by viking 58, Mar 25, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

58' Viking Hull Numbers 1 - 10 where are you?

Hi, Our 58 Viking is hull number 002, It was the origianal show boat for all the publications. I am curious where the others are. There were not many made from 1992 til about 1995.
  2. nelsboat

nelsboat New Member

58' Viking

I have a 1998 hull 51 with a pair of mtu 12V183 TE 93
    Great boat.

Nels
  3. rlgeorg

rlgeorg New Member

I am currently looking at a 1998 58 Viking with 1200 Mans. Any info on the boat would be helpful. Thanks
    rlgeorge2@hotmail.com
  4. nelsboat

nelsboat New Member

Viking 58'

Viking it is a very well built boat, the 58' Sport fish have a very dry ride and slice through the waves very comfortable, in any kind of seas.
    The MAN engines, I can't help you in that. The only report I know is, at this vintage they had some problems and I believe MAN have since correct it .My 58 it is power by a pair of MTU's (Mercedes Benz) 12 V 183 ; 1150 HP very economical and extremely dependable, the only draw back is ;while cold smoke's.
    I believe you will be very delighted with the 58' .Like any boat, proper maintenance it is the culprit .

Nels
  5. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

I have owned a 1992 58 for 6 years. I'm very happy -- it's my sixth viking so I guess I'm happy with the brand too. I've owned 3 sea rays and 2 hatteras' and keep coming back to vikiing. The 58 is heavy, thus very stong and solid feeling.

I have the 1100hp mans, burn 85 gallons/hour at 2000 rpm-- with 500 gallons of fuel on board that's a cruise speed of 27 knots, 1000 gallons is 26 knots and 1500gallons (full tanks) gets me 25 knots. All of my boating is in fresh water. Top speed with light load is 32 knots.

The first 58 in 1991 had 12-92's then they switched to mans for most of the 58's. They started out at 1100hp then 1200 then 1300 in later models. I'm aware of a couple 58's with 16-92's but they have more hp, are faster and burn a lot more fuel.

Hope this helps, let me know what you decide to do.
  6. rlgeorg

rlgeorg New Member

58 Viking

Am very close to making the deal for 1998 58 Viking. Only hang up is 1200 MANs. Have heard good and bad things about them.Don't want to be stuck with big bill right out of the chute.
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

rlgeorg,
    How many hours on those MAN's? Check with the folks at MAN down in Pompano (website - http://www.man-mec.com/home.htm) and see if they can give you service intervals, this way you know what you are getting into. Also check to see if you give them the engine serial numbers they can get any kind of history on them. Somebody (delaer or licensed technicians)probably worked on those engines and has a history. I ran a 61 Sunseeker with 1,050-hp MANs and they are great engines, but need to be looked after. If memory serves me correctly, there is a major servicing at 1,000 hours.
    Also, newer MAn's have common rail engines, cleaner, quieter and better efficiency. The Man's inthe Viking will undoubtedly be the mechanical type, maybe a little smoke at startup, bit more vibration. Oh yeah, on the 1,050-hp, at idle only half the cylinders are firing (built to do that) but gave a fair amount of vibration. Check to see if the 1200 does that.
    Hope that helps.
    Capt Tom
  8. rlgeorg

rlgeorg New Member

58 Viking

I have made the deal and hope to get boat next week. Engines are 1200
    mans with 1600 hours. All maintenance has been done by MAN and boat sems to run great.Am looking for a MAN forum(boatdiesel dosen't get much MAN traffic). Will post again when I get boat. Am looking forward to next week.
  9. nelsboat

nelsboat New Member

58' Viking

Congratulations!

You have a wonderfull boat.
    How old is she?
    I own mine(1998) since 2002 only pleasures.
    Good luck.

Nels:)
  10. rlgeorg

rlgeorg New Member

58 viking

The boat is a Viking Convertible with 1200 MANS. The starboard engine was replaced in 2002 due to a fuel pump runaway. It has 400 hrs. The port has 1600 hrs. The boat is very well equipted and lightly fished,mostly cruised.2Gensets . Very good electronics. I am looking forward to using it in NY for the summer and the west coast of Fla in the winter. Any good MAN forum sites?;)
  11. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

12. Manny

Manny Senior Member

Are there 58 vikings with a 4 stateroom layout? I heard a friend of mine say that there are, but I haven't really seen one with 4 staterooms, and I've checked a few on **************. Well, ARE there any with 4 staterooms?
  13. RandallH

RandallH New Member

I just bought hull number 003. I plan to ship her from Florida to the West Coast in May. I am currently completely refitting in Florida.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I looked at hull 003 a month ago for a customer. The port engine had a handful of cylinder kits put in the 12v92 prior to it being repo'd. Was in very good condition for it's age, but needed a lot of costmetics (compound/wax etc).........
  15. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Congratulations

Hi,
    I actually paid a deposit on this boat and Capt J checked her out for me. Unfortunately I could not get over to close the deal due to circumstances. Pity I missed a great boat, but congratulations to you and enjoy her!!!
    I will be back in the market by May.
  16. RandallH

RandallH New Member

Thanks for the info, you must have records I do not. Compression tests are underway. Please e-mail me at rscarlett at scarlettlawgroup dot com if you know things about the boat I should know. Engine survey was pretty good given time boat sat, but you obviously know the history of the boat. I am completeley refitting. Thanks.
  17. Be Realistic

Be Realistic New Member

Viking burns offshore

I understand a Viking sportfish burned offshore at Delray Beach, Florida, 2/25/10 . Will everyone going to comment and make a big deal out of this like they did a Bertram? That'll be interesting!!! Okay, Yacht Forum lets see where your values lie???
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Fires onboard vessels are a lot more common than what happened to that Bertram 630.

As far as Yacht Forums Values: The majority of those who post and read here do so to look, learn and to share info/ideas when appropriate.

To sign up and give a bit of a tirade on your two posts to date shows that the Admins should take a lead out of your user name and make sure you don't get to hit Submit Reply a third time :)
  19. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

BR,
    Yes indeed a yacht burned up in Boca yesterday, here's the piece from the Sun Sentinel on Feb 24:

A 48-foot boat was on fire for much of Wednesday and smoldering overnight off Delray Beach and on its travel south to Boca Raton while being towed.

The captain of Class Act, Viking Sport Fisherman, was rescued by Palm Beach County sheriff's deputies off Delray Beach after the fire broke out about 11:45 a.m.

Francisco Lopez-Pando, 32, dropped his anchor when the deputy approached by boat after hearing on his radio about a fire, sheriff's spokeswoman Teri Barbera said.

The deputy encouraged Lopez-Pando, who was uninjured, to get off the boat due to the heavy smoke. The fire started in the engine room. The burning boat was towed away by TowBoatUS.

Tim Pooler, of TowBoatUS, said Class Act was smoking as it was being towed and flames broke out in Boca Raton. Class Act was being delivered from West Palm Beach to Miami to its owner when the fire occurred.

By 3 p.m., Boca Raton Fire-Rescue was fighting the fire on the boat in the middle of Lake Boca, Fire-Rescue spokesman Frank Correggio said.

By evening, he said, hot spots that remained on the boat were still being put out. A crew of firefighters were to remain on standby overnight in case the fire flared up again.

The fire is being investigated by the State Fire Marshal's Office.

Apparently this yacht had some issues already and probably did not burn from questionable workmanship, wiring or other defect from the manufacturer. All I will say to your comments is that these are two different situations that are not parallel, and probably will not foster the same type of discussion. If we see more Vikings burning up then we may have a stronger case for questionsing and digging.
    The one common denominator is the safety for crew and those involved. That is first and foremost for most all YF members.
  20. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Viking Burns

Cut the cr@p Be Realistc, there is a lot more to this forum than 1 boat, manufacturerer or "conspiracies"
    Hope that no one is lost or injured!!!!!!!!!!
    Show a pattern or fault and the members will let it grow via its own volition hence the growing membership of "REAL" interested parties; mariners, crew, boaters, learners and lurkers!
    Keep it going guys.......
    Kafue