Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Glendinning

58' Hatteras - How to add Sport Fish Deck?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by dellitron, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dellitron

dellitron New Member

Hi,

have a 1977 - 58' Hatteras - not a sportfish .. would like to ADD
    a deck or convert the the stern to enable sportfishing

.. ANY IDEAS ??

Thanks in advance

Paul - Fort Lauderdale

``Time is just one dam* thing after another'' :)
  2. Mike M

Mike M New Member

i am no expert, but i would recommend contacting a good yard like Marine Max or Bradford in Ft Lauderdale. I have seen many hatteras with fishing cockpit extensions. I think they are very nice to have, it makes swimmimng off the boat much easier as well as handling the lines. One issue to look into is that the length of the boat will be extended but the running gear will not be, (ie: props, shafts, rudders) so this may change the handling characteristics at sea.
    Mike
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Good point Mike! Additions have been added successfully for years, but this will definately alter the boats handling. Idle speed operation will not be effected, but cruising speeds will be... especially in varying water conditions. Planing speeds can result in excess lift at the transom, creating a broach.

If the new addition is "stepped", or recessed befind the original transom, you can offset some of the unwanted handling characteristics, however this area will continue to run wet and therefore it will have an overall effect on handling. There have been numerous cockpits added to Hatteras's over the years. As Mike suggested, choose a reputable yard with *specific* experience in performing this modification.

If you can wait just a little longer, we have an advertisement coming out in Hatteras World magazine shortly, promoting YachtForums to Hatteras owners. The issue will reach close to 20,000 owners, dealers and prospective customers. We're expecting a little Hatteras Owner traffic from the same. Hopefully, one or more of them will have experience with the addition and can provide some solid advice.

We had a 57' Hatteras Extended Cockpit a few years ago. The boat was a dream to handle around docks. Sure miss the aft cockpit!
  4. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I have seen a few yachts that Rybovich Spencer extended. I would DEFENATELY go with a big, reputable yard like this to do the work. They painted a boat for me a few years ago & were very competitively priced.
  5. Michael Bach

Michael Bach New Member

Thank you for the recommendation............we would be happy to look at concept for modifying this Hatteras.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ok, extensions usually result in an increase in speed on the 58' Hatteras. As the boat never tends to run flat. Associtated marine in Dania, Rybovich, Merritt or a few other good yards can do an excellent job. Generally they will add another fuel tank in the cockpit extension. I ran a 58YF which Hatteras took the 53' an added a cockpit, no other changes and this was built at the factory. I also worked briefly on a 78' hatteras which was a '70 and associated added an 8ft cockpit and the boat rode flatter and gained a knot or two in cruising speed. Remember though, for sportfishing purposes, cockpit visibility will be next to nill from either steering station and a camera and intercom will be needed to see and hear whats going on in the cockpit. But the increased fuel (probably around a 600 gallon tank in a '58 will greatly increase your range