Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for JetForums

53' Feadship

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by cgoodwin, Feb 5, 2008.

1. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

Does anyone know if Feadships #1 through #6 are still afloat?

I found this Feadship listed as 1952, 85' in Length although I can find no reference to a feadship of this length being buiult before 1956
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

To add to your confusion, I just found this info and also read than anything built by these shipyards could be termed a Feadship.

When Feadship was founded in 1949 by Dutch yacht builders as an export association mainly for the American market, the original list of members featured:

Jachtwerf W.P.M. Akerboom, Lisse,
    Jacht- & scheepswerf Van Lent, Kaag,
    Scheepswerf E.G. van de Stadt, Zaandam,
    Scheepswerven Nicolaas Witsen & Vis, Alkmaar,
    Scheepswerf Het Fort/G. de Vries Lentsch, Nieuwendam,
    Scheepswerf De Vlijt/Gebr. de Vries, Aalsmeer
    Naval architects H.W. de Voogt joined Feadship in 1950.
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Same boat in English.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

EEK!!! I thought it was in English......mostly anyway- The word details is the same and all that stuff is in English. You guys over there are spoilt.
  5. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

6. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

Does anyone know where Feadships #1-6 are? Or what they were?

De Vries built #3 (a wooden Pampus sailing yacht) for the 1951 boatshow
  7. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

Since Feadship was founded in 1949, only vessels built after that time by the yards involved in the First Export Association of Dutch SHIPbuilders are Feadships. If no one can locate vessels numbers 1-6 then my vessel, the Brigand hull #7 would be the oldest Feadship afloat, would it not?
  8. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

All vessels I can find built before 1953 by FEADSHIP, if anyone can supply details on any of them especially hull numbers and locations I would very much appreciate it.

20.00m
    "Rotterdam"
    Built at ?
    Architect?
    Hull#?
    Location unknown

Length unknown
    Built at De Vries yard built (a wooden Pampus sailing yacht)
    Architect unknown
    Hull#3
    Location unknown
    19.56m
    "Bramar"
    built at De Vries yard
    Architect?
    Hull#?
    Location unknown

19.00m
    "Rubato"
    Built at De Vries yard
    Architect?
    Hull#?
    Location unknown

13.35m
    Wooden sportfisherman
    Built at?
    Architect?
    Hull#?
    Location unknown

13.35m
    "Linda Anne"
    Built at De Vries yard
    Architect?
    Hull#?
    Location unknown

"Capri" Renamed "Alisand III"
    Built at ?
    Architect-De Voogt
    Hull#?
    Location unknown

"Brigand"
    Built at Nicolaas Witsen and Vis yard
    Architect?
    Hull#7
    Location- Seattle, Wa. USA
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would be careful in claiming yours is the oldest just based on the lack of info forthcoming from this forum.

I would say that there are a lot more people involved in boating worldwide who do not read/contribute here than do so there is a massive untapped information source out there that needs to be tapped to truly determine if all details of the first 6 are lost.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The 1953 Feadship Olga II is 90 feet (27,43m) and is probably still afloat according to a Feadship publication.
  11. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

I am more interested in the names, hull numbers and locations of the vessels, it seems odd that the information is so difficult to come by. If my vessel is so clearly marked "No.7" I wonder where 1 through 6 are and what they were or are??? I am not solely relying on this forum by any means, I would be very interested in the "Feadship Publication" you refer to.
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have a couple of brochures with similar content. Olga II from Van Lent Shipyard is on the larger picture.

Attached Files:

13. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

How about this beauty, any idea what her original name was?

Bleu
    21m
    Steel hull
    Twin Diesel

She is listed as a Feadship but is shown as being desinged and built by Akerboom and I have found some references to Akerboom Yacht and Equipment as being Feadship???

She is for sale here

Attached Files:

• ano.jpg
      ano.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
  14. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

Does anyone here know of a site with the history of Scheepswerven Nicolaas Witsen & Vis, they seem to have totally disappeared.

Honestly I am amazed that so little information is archived on the early Feadship yachts considering that they are and have been the cutting edge of yacht building for better than half a century. I have yet to find a good archive of any kind and have spent some time adding to the Wikipedia page which appears to be a press release from Feaship some time ago. I have been adding details to the list there of Feadships as I come across it.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Akerboom has been close connected with Feadship all the time:

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/62241-post22.html

Today as part of the De Vries group they are building aluminium superstructures and many other things for both Feadship and yards like Royal Huisman:

http://www.ayeholland.nl/geschiedenis/1986-dochter-van-de-vries-scheepsbouw/
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here they are: http://www.nicolaaswitsen.nl
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Good Posts there Lars.

I never knew how close I had been to that Witsen yard till I did a Michelin Map search and found that I pass within about 1km of it when driving to Amsterdam from Maakum.
  18. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

OK, I am looking for information on the following feadships:

1950 Rotterdam
    1951 Pampus
    1952 Jo-ed
    1955 Goodwin

I can find no images of any of these.
  19. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

I have been in touch with Feadship and they have been kind enough to provide me with some history and images on some of the early vessels. I have posted them at www.frybrid.com/feadshiphistory.htm
  20. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Member

I am continuing the restoration of the Brigand. I am now 99% certain that she is the oldest Feadship afloat. I have spent months searching records and conversing via email with the Feadship archivist and have been unable to locate any earlier vessels built by Feadship.

SHe has been out of the water for 3 months and during that time I have replaced about 32 sqft of steel below the water line and another 32 on the side decks.

All rust was cut out, the metal treated and sealed and new steel welded in place.

The entire vessel from keel to railings as been sanded, prepped and repainted.

Both sliding doors have been removed, repaired and rehung.

The master stateroom was torn down to bare metal and rebuilt with a queen bed, bench and storage. About one large trash can of dysfunctional wire was removed and the bilge below the floor cleaned and painted - The shower and sink will no longer use this bilge as a holding tank as a pump has been installed.

The midship tank has been completely cleaned and repaired, the hull and bulkheads in that tank area repaired and painted.

The transom was sanded, sanded and sanded some more, 6 coats of CPES, sanded, 4 more coats of cpes, sanded and now has another 6 coats of Captain's Varnish on top. I made new swim step brackets from .25 mild steel, lazer cut a skeleton pattern and welded them together then had them powdercoated and installed them with 3M 4200 and stainless fasteners.

Most of this can be seen at http://www.frybrid.com/feadshiprepair.htm it has been 3 long months working every second I could find while still maintaining a business and family. I went through 2 carpenters, 5 painters and 2 welders and ended up being helped by a 54 year old painter and a 52 year old welder becasue not one of the younger people I hired would work or even show up consistently for that matter. Strange world where you drive to work past a half dozen young able bodied men sitting on milk crates begging with cardboard signs, yet can't find people to come to work...

I have paint in places I can't reach to wash, so much grinding dust in my skin that when the rains came I turned orange, I have a permenant blue dot in my view from my helmet not darkening in time, and get confused if I do not smell like bilge water, burning steel, diesel fuel and paint....

I will be moving her to moorage today and tenting the foredeck, the teak will come up and the rusted steel around the front of the house will be replaced. It appears that about 12" of deck all the way around the house is gone and every rain the galley fills with water.

On the foredeck is a windlass made by the Albina Motor Company of Portland Oregon, it is toast and needs a new clutch and motor but the company is out of business. After exhaustive research I discovered that another company, RC Plath bought up all the tooling when Albina closed. So if you have one of these huge WWII windlasses, you can get any part you like as they still make them all, they just don't advertise or tell anyone about it.

The project goes on.