Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

51' Symbol

Discussion in 'Symbol Yacht' started by NorCalBoater, Dec 16, 2011.

1. NorCalBoater

NorCalBoater New Member

Hi All. Just joined this evening. I've been a member of other boating forums and have always enjoyed the spirited discussions.

I have just had an offer accepted on a 1987 51' Symbol Yachtfish. I am now in the process of survey, etc. I have found several of these for sale around the US and it is interesting how many differences there are from boat to boat.

On the surface the boat appears to be very well maintained and has new fuel tanks, (750 gal) and new salon sliding windows.

My fingers are crossed for a good survey and I'm looking forward to participating on the forum.

Shawn
  2. skimmerscott

skimmerscott New Member

Well Shawn, did you get the Symbol, if so, how do you like it?

we've been watching Symbols for a few years here in Florida. it's on our shortlist of boats we'd like to own someday.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

4. NorCalBoater

NorCalBoater New Member

I did not buy the Symbol. After spending $1600 on a flight to LA and a survey, the boat just needed too much work. It was discoverd the oil had not been changed in 4 years. The issues were not the fault of the manufacturer but rather poor maintenance.

The seller bought the boat without a survey with plans to flip it. After the survey came back with $30,000 in repairs needed the seller was not williing to bend on his price....until we walked away. We bought something else and that Symbol is still for sale.
  5. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

Thank you for replying. Last year I posted a couple of comments and requests and no one replied (could be the quality of my posts...). I just want to see an active forum.

I've got a 1994 Symbol 54 PHMY which I am enjoying up in the Pacific Northwest.

I've been trying to reach Symbol for about a year as I need to get some replacement parts (seals/weatherstripping for the pilothouse and flybridge doors, gas lifts, etc.) and no one has returned my calls or emails to them either.

Do you know where I can source such stuff?

Thank you.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

K1W1's reply was 2 1/2 years ago. The reason no one replies is no one here has a Symbol. Are you saying you've called the Symbol US office, the two US dealers and the headquarters in Taiwan and emailed all of them as well with no one answering or returning calls?
  7. jimnlouisiana

jimnlouisiana New Member

Call the 2 dealers in the US. They always answer when I call.
  8. snowkid

snowkid New Member

Is there still a Symbol dealer in the US.
  9. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

I am not aware of any US dealers. If you find one, I'd love to know!