Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Walker

500 footer freeboard and deck heights

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by ekiqa, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ekiqa

ekiqa Member

Does any one know what the free board is on these massive yachts? Dubai and Eclipse both look to be pushing 30 feet, with what look like 10 foot minimum deck heights. They seem to be approaching, if not surpassed the hulls of the Arleigh Burke destroyers.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A standard dimension to use is around 2.2m between finished floor and finished ceiling panel.

There will be some extra distance between the top of the finished floor and the deck underneath which is used for floor framing and insulation somewhere in range of 50/75mm depending on finished floor material.

There will have to be space in the overhead above the finished ceiling for Air Conditioning and Ventilation ducts and pipework to run, Electrical cables, Fixed Firefighting and a number of other things that are needed for the Vessel to be complete and operate but are not seen by anyone using the space normally.

You have to also remember that there will be Frames under the decks in most places with a 600mm spacing for the length of the vessel, these also require space in the overall height calculation.

A 10ft or 3.3m minimum bare deck to bare deck height would be wonderful.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is what I have on all of my larger designs. The Triple Bling (450ft) also has a higher main deck, around 4m, to let light in as she is 20m wide. Hull sides are 9m, almost 30ft to main deck.

Attached Files:

4. ekiqa

ekiqa Member

Thanks. It's hard to get a good judge of size on most of these massive yachts.

Is the 8 - 10 m main deck height about the maximum yachts will become?
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I don´t think so, this 600 foot design is 16 m high in the bow...

Attached Files:

6. ekiqa

ekiqa Member

Tall. So she's about 30 m to the top of the superstructure? Starting to approaching big cruise ship sizes.