Click for Comfort Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

49 Gulfstar Motor Yacht? Good, Bad opinions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ohcaptainron, Mar 1, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Turbax

Turbax New Member

2. Turbax

Turbax New Member

Well bought it . and very happy it is a Great boat spent a lot on upgrades . but it was worth it a 55 with 4 state rooms three full heads she handles well and very economical at 10 knots running the gen set and two 8 92 tts each 600 hp 16 gal per hour but if I need to go fast she's good for 20 plus knots I will spend the next year doing the little things the last owner never did but all and all I am very happy .
  3. Dean P

Dean P New Member

Congrats on your purchase. My neighbor has one and what a fantastic vessel it is. How do you like those heavy doors?

Gary C. There's a wire chase from the base of the radar arch on the port side that heads toward the helm.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

16 GPH at 10kts isn't very economical Cut the speed down to 9.25 / 9.5, likely to be hull speed for your boat and you will bring it down to 10 GPH

Once you reach hull speed, commonly calculated as teh sq root of waterline length X 1.3, fuel burn jumps up exponentially

My 53 burns 9 GPH at 9kts.

I run a 70 footer with electronic engiens and flow meters. It's a real eye opener. 10 kts (hull speed for that boat) and we burn 18pgh. Bump it up a knot and it jumps to 30gph! 10% more speed, 50% more fuel. Bring it down to 9kts, and flow drops to 10gph.
  5. Turbax

Turbax New Member

6. Turbax

Turbax New Member

They are heavy Dean . but they conform to the lines of of the boat and they work really well with heavy henges and thanks Pascal I will bring her down to 9.25 and be happy to save 6 gph I'm not in a hurry these days Thanks Ron
  7. Turbax

Turbax New Member

And Dean my hull is number 2 . and it has a complete walk around . and it's a wide walkway. the wide body's built later by Viking loose this . but it still has a 17.6 beam all window frames sliding doors at stern and air vents for engines are all stainless steel not aluminum a big plus for a 29 year old boat