Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Walker

47 Viking an improvement? Characteristics?

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by cfamsden, Dec 16, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cfamsden

cfamsden New Member

As I noted in another thread on the general page, re: Vik vs Bert vs Hatt vs Post etc., I don't read much in these Yachtforum posts about the Vik 47 (1994 to 2002 or so) which supposedly has a deeper forefoot than the older 48, but has lost some of the nice teak touches in the 48. Is it any drier? If the 48 pounds a bit more than the 45 as some have suggested, does the 47 take care of this problem? Is it drier than the 48? Any chine changes to make it roll less at slow or no speed? And after reading about the Cat vs. Man controversy is the 680HP or so Man in the 47 big enough, and worth the improvement over the Detroits in the 48s?

Also, are the prices on these falling with everything else, in our projected black hole economy?

thanks, Chris in SoCal
  2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I've never heard a Viking 52 say anything bad about his boat if that matters are all. The Viking 50 in the top power package is scary fast but skittish. The 45 is similar to a 43 but more engine room- which is needed if you'd need to be 8 inches thick to do anything outboard of either engine.
  3. jln007

jln007 New Member

Viking 47

I am also considering the Viking 47 as well and have many of the same questions. Does it handle well in a head sea? Is it drier? How does it perform with the MAN 680 vs 800? Does this boat have a good reputation? Thanks for your help.
  4. 47viking

47viking New Member

I own a 1995 47 vik, unbelievable in a following, beam and cornering sea, better than average in a head sea (friends 50 hat is better, but not nearly as good in large following sea). As with most viks from this era when in tight head seas it is a bit wet, but nothing like the older 45 (I have a friend with one). I have the 680Hp MAN, no complaints there, economical @ 1950-1975 doing 23-25 knots, @2100 your flying. The engine room is real big (great access to everything), can’t compare to either older or newer 45 which is wider.

Good luck,
    Bob
  5. JOHNMM

JOHNMM New Member

I Own A 2001 47 Viking , I Have The Larger Engine Package And Love The Way It Handles !! At 1850 Rpm I Cruise At 25 Knts,at 1950 Rpm I Cruise At 27 Knts , These Are In The Lower / Mid Cruise Range. Tops Out At 35 Knts. It Handles 4-6ft Seas Great, In All Directions !! I Haven't Been Out In Any "really Big" Seas . All In All This Is A Great Boat, I Have Been Very Pleased With It !!!!
  6. 47viking

47viking New Member

Hey John,

Can I assume you have the 800 MANs, thats a great WOT speed
  7. JOHNMM

JOHNMM New Member

They are the 800s. 35 knts is on a "very light" boat. 33 knts with a normal load.