Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Abeking

450EB balsa cored hull problems

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by oops6996, Dec 24, 2009.

1. oops6996

oops6996 New Member

Does anyone have any info concerning Sea Ray's balsa cored hulls? I have a 1998 450EB that started listing slightly about a year ago. It gradually progressed to the point that my starboard exaust was just under water. I've been crawling through the bilges and drilling into a couple of sealed compartments looking for any water accumulation but found nothing. I pulled it out for a new bottom job a couple of weeks ago and went through everything again but nothing was found. My mechanic told me Sea Ray had been having some problems with balsa cores so I checked online and found an article that seems to mirror my own problems and it was the balsa cored hull causing the list. I pulled off the side engine vent covers yesterday and found that Sea Ray had just cut through the hull to install the vents without sealing the balsa core and that the balsa core was waterlogged and rotted around the cut out. Anyone have an idea what to do next? I've contacted Allstate and they are supposed to send out someone but I don't know if insurance will cover. I've heard Sea Ray has paid the repair bill for some of these problems. Just fishing for input, Thanks!
    Roy
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All sog has to be cut out. Rather than drilling holes throughout your boat I suggest using a moisture meter. 1998 falls outside your hull waranty so try sugar when dealing with Sea Ray. Good luck.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I'll bite ... find a surveyor who is equipped and competent to perform a thermographic survey of the hull. If the boat is out of the water or can be brought into a heated building it will be fairly easy to define the extent of the water intrusion and potential repairs.

If the boat is listing as much as you say, it might not be a survey report you will be happy to see.
  4. oops6996

oops6996 New Member

Thanks Guys, I figured as much, just needed to see it. Its high and dry now so I'll be looking for a surveyer in the area.
    Roy
  5. Bill Collector

Bill Collector New Member

go to www.clubsearay.com and there is a very informative article on this very subject on front page
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Find a good survey with an infrared camera it will show any water issues in the coring. I manage a 2001 wellcraft coastal 37', the boat has low hours and is located in South Florida. Last year we had to cut out the entire front deck and part of the cockpit floor, , re-core it, re-glass it and paint the area. Now the integral swim platform is all soggy. Balsa and boats don't seem to mix.