Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

45 Cabo or 48 Buddy Davis Express Both C18 Power? Mid 2000 era

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by Punisherzx12r, Dec 14, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Punisherzx12r

Punisherzx12r Member

Moving up from a bigger CC, looking for some more opinions and experiences.

I guess we could include the 45 Viking and even the Bertram Express.

What's the good, bad and ugly of these larger express boats?

Important for us out of OCMD is a 30 knot cruise or close to it and ability to do that in more than just flat seas, also Cat power. I am in the excavating business, most of my trucks have C15's, so we already stock most of the service parts and we know the C15/C18 engine family

Seems like both are known to be a bit heavy...good ride but thirsty.

I like that they are all composite ...no wood construction.

Fishing and owning experience with these boats would be greatly appreciated...thank you in advance
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

45' Cabo express with C18's, will cruise 30.5-30.8 knots depending on fuel load, keep transferring to the aft tank as you're burning it. 1100 hp mans gets you 33.5 knot cruise and quieter. 45' Viking has a reputation for being wet and pounding. The 48' Davis I wouldn't touch as the quality is a step below both Cabo and Viking. I ran a 2005 45' Cabo to Belize from Ft. Laud in 2005 and all over Belize for 6 months, it's a great boat and easy to work on and get parts for.
  3. wiredup

wiredup Member

I would agree out of the expresses listed, would go Cabo. There fit and finish is excellent, and can be had with the Cats. The Davis w0n't cruise as fast, but is a very good sea worthy boat. I have owned glass and custom wood boats. The wood doesn't scare me, but have to be extremely thorough on the survey. The newer vikings ride better, but the cockpits are tiny on the expresses.