Click for Abeking Click for Llebroc Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander

43 handling/performance?

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Bucksh0t, Feb 11, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bucksh0t

Bucksh0t New Member

I have heard a few mention that the 43 does not like a following sea. My offshore trips will put me in a quater following sea for most of my returns. My 40 Luhrs Open eats it up, she is wet but there is no bow steer or sudden scary moments. I am a fair weather fisherman but the SW wind can often pick up enough to make it a little sporty for the ride home.
    For those of you that own/run the 43 convertible, can you tell me just how the boat handles?
  2. Tashmoo

Tashmoo New Member

Every hull trades off on something. The 43 has sharp entry forward and modest aft deadrise. This makes for a fast, economical, dry hull and a great head and beam sea ride, but down sea will require more active helm response - especially on the quarter. I've never felt unsafe in a big following sea, but I generally take it off pilot, obviously no tabs and try to square up to bigger stuff to minimize yaw and roll. And my wife generally sets up in the cockpit in big followers.

Ocean built 75 of these hulls between 2000 - 2005 and most of them are still regularly running offshore
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  3. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

I run a 43 Ocean, and I would admit that she is not the best, but also not the worst in a following sea. As Tashmoo said above, how you run the boat will have a big effect on the ride. The boat needs to be run at minimum 22 kts or so, to get the bow up and out of the water, and then she does alright in a big following sea. at under that speed the bow doesnt lift out the water quite as yet, and then she could be a bit squirly. I did the 80 mile run from Grenada to Trinidad in a 4-5 ft quartering following sea, and the boat did fine at 23-24 kts, I just burned a bit more fuel, but it was worth it for the improvement in the ride.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Tashmoo and Trinimax know the boat well. My experience is the same. Head sea ride is excellent and it's a quick boat given the power package. But the narrow and flat aft sections don't make for a great ride in followers. And the boat rides pretty flat even without tabs so it's hard to get the aft end to sit down as much as you'd usually want in followers. But honestly, the worst rolling I experience is generally from boat wakes that hit me aft of the beam while I'm in otherwise calm condition and have the bow trimmed down slightly. Small following rollers that are close together. That really seems to get the boat rocking. Bigger sea swells (4+ feet) like you'd experience off shore I have found to be a non issue.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your asking about Luhrs or Oceans?
  6. Bucksh0t

Bucksh0t New Member

Ralph
    The Ocean , I may move to a convertible later this year and I am narrowing my searches now.
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Got it now. Have fun and good luck on your searches.
    100104~3.GIF