Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn

42 Hatt Convertable 1973

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Berean, Dec 8, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Hi,

I am considering looking at an older 42 Hatt powered with twin 6-71 Ns (yes, naturals).

Know very little about the boat at this point, but broker says 16 kts at 6-8 gph per engine.

Any thoughts on this genre Hatt and/or the power plant?

I like the idea of 671 Ns, should be bullet proof, but I'd love to here your thoughts

John
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

...is it the one with the white interior?

I ran one many years ago - it had 903 Cummins and was a fast boat for it's day... good on fuel too but I think those 671N's might need a little more than 16 gph to get you 16 knots. I loved the boat. Got bit better than probably any boat I've fished on. Very comfortable ride too. (Although I got the living daylights beat out of me in it - I made one of the worst weather trips I ever had running back up from Cabo to San Diego on that boat.)

Like any older boat it's really all about the condition it's in today. FWIW recently here in California, a 1974 w/903's ...it was a "10" ...sold for $65K
  3. Rafaeldelgado

Rafaeldelgado New Member

Rer
    What is the fuel consumption and speed with the 903's, cruising, and top
    Where those engines reliable?

I am looking at one now, but don't have much info on the vessel
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember running an old 44 Striker with fresh 671Ns. 16kts downhill, with the wind & some imagination. After a burned exhaust valve, we went from N60 to N90 injectors. Never had the chance to final the propeller tune but last ride was a solid 18kts at 1800 rpm. Near 1 mpg with the N60s, never had a chance to final or check fuel consumption with the N90s. I feel we were still close to 1mpg but still under propped. Was looking for some more pitch when the owner sold her.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Wouldn't a 44 striker lighter than an early 42 hatt?

I really doubt you ll get 16kts on 8gph per side... I m guessing more like 22/25 GPH combined.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, 1mpg, N60s, 1800 rpm.

It is hard and maybe unfair to compare alloy to plastic. Think the lighter Striker was wider and more wetted surface, pretty flat with some conic hull further aft. Don't know if the Hat was deeper.
    Only found graphs on N55 & N70 injectors (185 to 265hp), they show 9 & 13 gph @ wot. Rated rpms increased with the N60s up (4 valve heads).

If I could of ever got more pitch, loaded right, It would have used lots more fuel with the N90s and run faster.
    Then, slowed back to 16kts, requiring the same hp, and find a skinny 1 mpg. Skinny 1 mpg because the governors would have more room to overcome the back side of the swells better.

671 Ns are bullet proof.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

At cruise naturals generally burn 1 gal per cylinder.....so 12 gph total at cruise speed for both. Naturals are darn near bulletproof if maintained.